Professional Development Day
The annual Professional Development Day is dedicated to professional issues for faculty, with an emphasis on equity and advancement.
Past Professional Development Days:
Professional Development Day, May 4, 2010
Linda Snelling, MD
Associate Professor of Pediatrics & Surgery
Chief, Division of Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
The Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University
Susan M. Pollart, MD, MS
Ruth E. Murdaugh Associate Professor of Family Medicine
Associate Dean for Faculty Development
University of Virginia School of Medicine
On the agenda
"Negotiating Difficult Conversations "
At the end of the workshop, participants were able to and/or had the opportunity to:
- Identify an area of conflict in the workplace;
- Explore individual responses to conflict;
- Recognize patterns of responses found in the academic medical setting;
- Distinguish gender-specific patters of responses;
- Use the Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument to identify preferred approaches to conflict resolution;
- Utilize the components of successful negotiation described in "Getting to Yes"
- Practice negoation in dyads with an observer;
- Identify the necessary steps to prepare for a difficult conversation about the conflict originally identified; and
- Conclude with a plan to schedule a difficult conversation which will both manage conflict and matinain a respectful relationship.
Recommended Pre-workshop reading: Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement without Giving In, 2nd Edition, by Roger Fisher, William L. Ury, and Bruce Patton
Professional Development Day, May 12, 2009
Lorraine Bedy, PhD, Adjunct Assistant Professor of the College of Health Professions - Art and Sciences
On the agenda
Mentoring - This half-day workshop focused on the skills needed to develop and maintain mentoring relationships within and beyond the SUNY Upstate community.
Dr. Lorraine Bedy has more than 40 years experience as an educator and was featured in the book "Teaching in America." The focus of her doctoral work examined the culture of mentoring in three professions: Medicine, Architecture, and Education.
Professional Development Day, April 16, 2007
On the agenda was
Women in Medicine Panel - 20-Minute "Best of the Best" Presentations - WIM Best Practices from recent ELAM and AAMC workshops
- "The ELAM Experience - a mirror, a network and a pocketful of resources" presented by Sara Grethlein, MD
- "Effective Communication & Presentations" presented by Paula Trief, PhD
- "My Toolbox for Women in Science" presented by Andrea Viczian, PhD
- "Women & Negotiations - What Are We So Afraid of?" presented by Kara Kort, MD
- "Productive Negotiation/Communication and Academic/Clinical Responsibility Mandates Understanding Yourself, Listening and Response-ability" presented by Jyoti Upadhyay, MD
(references for Dr. Mylona's Negotiations presentation)
- WIMS Monthly Meeting:
The next monthly meeting is scheduled for Thursday, June 20, 2013, 8:00am, in Room 318 Library, Weiskotten Hall
- WIMS Book Club:
The next book club meeting is scheduled for Monday, June 24, 2013. Location TBD