About Syracuse & Central New York
The SUNY Upstate Medical University is in the city of Syracuse, in central New York State. Syracuse has a metropolitan area population of approximately 750,000.
- City of Syracuse (events, city parks)
- Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau (accomodations, restaurants, tours)
- The Centerstate Corporation for Economic Recovery
- Onondaga County Parks
- I Love New York
- Armory Square
Our Neighbors on University Hill
Many restaurants, nightclubs and shops are within walking distance of campus on "the hill" near Marshall Street, and downtown in and around Armory Square .
The city's New York State Fairgrounds, site of the annual New York State Fair, also has a year-round schedule of ice shows, hobby shows and similar activities. Public transportation is available to shopping areas, theaters, restaurants and recreational areas.
The Greater Neighborhood
From a few minutes to an hour away
Numerous golf courses, both public and private, are located in the city and surrounding towns.
Central New York is a haven for enthusiasts of winter as well as summer sports. Downhill and cross-country ski areas are within easy driving distance. Skating, tobogganing, dogsledding, snowmobiling, ice fishing, ice boating and other cold weather activities are also popular.
- Syracuse Hancock International Airport
- William F. Walsh Regional Transportation Center
- Amtrak Station
- Centro provides bus, shuttle and parking services for the greater Syracuse area
- Junction of the New York State Thruway and Interstate 81
(connects Pennsylvania and Canada)
- Boston, New York City and Atlantic Ocean resorts are only hours away.