Team Upstate Semi-Annual Report 2011
The Team Upstate Council was formed to promote public awareness of the University’s contributions to the community and to instill pride in our organization by acknowledging and supporting employee volunteer efforts. We believe the spirit of volunteerism adds an important dimension to our workplace culture.
Upstate students and employees have been busy with a variety of outreach and volunteer efforts from July through December. Below is a list of activities for our semi-annual report.
Advisory Dean Community Outreach Projects(August-January)
- Under the direction of The Center for Civic Engagement 160 1st year medical students and 30 Doctor of Physical Therapy Students participated in our new Advisory Dean Community Outreach Projects
- Weekly volunteer sites include: Catholic Charities North Side CYO, HopePrint, South West Community Center, The National Kidney Foundation, The Dialysis Clinic, and The Rescue Mission.
- 37 Upstate employees, their friends and family participated in the Aids Walk/Run in June, and took home the award for largest team.
Amaus Free Clinic – Cathedral Emergency Services(June-January)
- Upstate students volunteered at the weekly free clinic throughout the academic year and into the summer.
- Upstate students in collaboration with Amaus Clinic and The Center for Civic Engagement designed and implemented a Patient Navigator Program at Amaus.
- PNP allows students to learn about the underlying causes of poverty and social injustice. Students are partnered with patients in order to provide support and resources, helping patients to “navigate” the healthcare system.
Backpack and Book Drive(August)
- Upstate employees participated in a drive for backpacks, books and school supplies that benefits local children attending Mary Nelson’s Youth Day BBQ.
Book Drive – Worldwide Books.org(July – December and on-going)
- Coordinated by CHP faculty member, Elton Garvin
- Students from Upstate’s Veterans Club and CHP’s Physical Therapy Club collect books which were donated to schools, libraries and domestic and international charities throughout the world wherever there is a need
- More than 10,000 books collected to date
Booth House – Salvation Army(August-January)
- 10 Upstate students brought health education to teenagers twice a month throughout the fall semester.
- Booth House is operated by the Salvation Army to provide young adults with difficult living situations a temporary place to stay.
Catholic Charities North Side CYO(August-January)
- Under the direction of The Center for Civic Engagement 40 Upstate students volunteered once a week at North Side CYO providing health education and tutoring
Community Giving Campaign(September-December)
- 1,902 Upstate employees contributed $650,043 to support vital health and human service agencies and the Upstate Foundation in our annual giving campaign.
- Ninety-five third-graders from Dr. Martin Luther King Magnet School received new dictionaries from Upstate medical students.
- Upstate employees provided health information in the Dr. Henry A. Washington Health Pavilion at the annual Juneteenth Festival.
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer(October)
- 120 members of Team Upstate raised $12,862 for the American Cancer Society.
March for Babies(October-December)
- Upstate employees and students participated in the March of Dimes walk, and raised $7,646.
- Under the direction of The Center for Civic Engagement 10 Upstate student volunteer at the afterschool program teaching health education and especially the importance of personal hygiene.
South West Community Center(June-January)
- Under the direction of The Center for Civic Engagement 60 Upstate student volunteer at the afterschool program providing tutoring in all subjects and health education.
- 30 Doctor of Physical Therapy Students, The College of Health Professions, and The Center for Civic Engagement provided after school “Physical Fitness Challenges” to keep inner city youth healthy and active.
St. Baldrick’s Fundraiser(March)
- 3 Upstate employees raised $11,000 for the St. Baldrick’s Fundraiser.
Step Out-Walk to Fight Diabetes(October)
- 37 employees raised $6,522 for the American Diabetes Association at the Step Out Walk.
Strikes Against Stroke(May)
- 59 bowlers raised $1,136 at the annual bowling event to benefit the Upstate University Hospital Stroke Fund to support patient and family education, direct patient care needs and raising community awareness.
- Upstate campus and community were instrumental in collecting over items and monetary donations for relief efforts in Haiti.
- 9 Medical Students travelled to Haiti to provide much needed medical services in clinics and orphanages.
The National Kidney Foundation(June-January)
- 20 Upstate students volunteered at the National Kidney Foundations health screening.
- This screening provided individuals in the community with information regarding the importance of healthy lifestyles and the dangers of living uncontrolled with hypertension and diabetes.
- Upstate students and employees collected hundreds toys for local children in our community during the holiday season.
Vascular Screening – College of Health Professions Medical Imaging Students(June)
- College of Health Professions student from the Diagnostic Medical Sonography (DMS) program participated in the "Legs for Life" program on Wednesday, 6/22/11.
- The event helped spread awareness of vascular disease and its prevention. 165 participants were screened and several were diagnosed with peripheral arterial disease and carotid stenosis.
Walk to Cure Diabetes (JDRF)(September)
- 6 walkers raised $1,303 for juvenile diabetes as part of the Walk to Cure Diabetes.
Walk from Obesity(September)
- Sponsored by the CNY Bariatric Surgery Center at Upstate, 40 participants raised $2,500 to create awareness of the disease of obesity.
Zanette G. Howe, Assistant Director for Community Relations, Marketing and University Communications
Siobhan Arey, The Center For Civic Engagement, Program Coordinator
Strikes Against Stroke
Ride & Run for the Rescue
7/8/2013 All day
Backpack & School Supplies Drive July 8-26
7/15/2013 All day
Backpack & School Supplies Drive July 8-26