Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS)
The First Critical Hour in Trauma Management
The ATLS Course for Doctors
- SUNY Upstate Medical University, Department of Surgery
- American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma
Based on well-established principles and objectives of trauma management, the course is intended to provided physicians with one acceptable method for safe immediate management and the basic knowledge necessary to:
- Access the patient's condition rapidly and accurately.
- Resuscitate and stabilize the patient on a priority basis.
- Determine if the patient's needs exceed a facility's capabilities.
- Arrange for the patient's interhospital transfer.
- Assure that optimum care is provided each step of the way.
As an organization accredited for continuing medical education by the Accrediation Council for Continuing Medical Education, the ACS designates that this continuing medical education offering meets the criteria for hour-for-hour credit in Category 1.