Breast Cancer Program
Regional Oncology Center
(adjacent to University Hospital)
750 East Adams Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
315 464-PINK (7465)Map & directions
Please Excuse The Dust...
We're building the beautiful new Upstate Cancer Center and hope you won't find the inconvenience too great. We have ambassadors who can guide you to your appointment as well as provide wheelchair transportation, if necessary, to and from the second floor of Upstate's attached garage.
Our Cancer Program has received national recognition and is accredited by The American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer. This is a distinction awarded to only one in four hospitals nationwide. We appear on the American Cancer Society website, because we are the only hospital in the Syracuse region that offers comprehensive, multidisciplinary, state-of-the-art cancer care.
University Hospital has more than 20 years of providing state-of-the-art comprehensive breast care. As part of our commitment to the treatment of breast disease, we are pleased to have CNYs first Multi-Disciplinary Breast Cancer Program.
Our Program is designed to provide prompt, comprehensive, compassionate, and coordinated care with an integrated team of medical oncologists, breast surgeons, radiation oncologists, pathologists and support staff. Our breast cancer team will thoroughly discuss your history, type of cancer, and treatments designed specifically for your care.
All members of this team are available on the day of the appointment, so patients can meet with each specialist involved in their care. This enables better understanding of the various phases of breast cancer care. Depending on the type of breast cancer, and what treatments have already been completed, some patients may not need to meet with each specialist. However, they can be assured that their case will be reviewed by the entire team.
The team members include:
- Surgeons who specialize in breast surgery including lumpectomy and mastectomy, lymph node sampling and lymph node dissection
- Medical Oncologists who treat cancers with systemic medications
- Radiation Oncologists who specialize in the duration and type of radiation treatments
- Radiologists who are highly experienced in diagnostic breast testing and biopsy techniques
- Pathologists who examine tissue specimens to determine a diagnosis of cancer or other diseases
- Genetic Counselor for those patients with a strong family history of cancer or a possible genetic or hereditary link
- Nurse Practitioners who work closely with all the physicians in coordinating your treatment plan, and provide additional medical care, education and support
- Assistance in providing referrals to plastic surgeons for breast reconstruction surgery when needed