Stroke Support Group
Sponsored by Upstate Stroke Center
Join fellow stroke survivors, family members and care providers to learn more about living and loving life after stroke.
“Social support is important in stroke recovery. Social isolation has been called a risk factor for a poor outcome after stroke. Family and friends provide important support for many survivors, but stroke support groups can also play a vital role in stroke recovery. They can decrease the isolation of both survivors and family, and introduce new friends to replace those often lost after the stroke.”
Location: One Telergy Parkway 6333 State Route 298, East Syracuse NY
Meeting Time: 3rd Monday of the Month, 5-7 p.m.
- 5:00 Refreshments
- 5:15-6:00 Speaker
- 6:00 Break
- 6:15-6:45 Spouse Group, Survivor Group
- 6:45 Close
Tentative Presenter Schedule:
- Monday, January 23, 2017-Carrie Garcia, MS, CCC-SLP, CBIS (Functional Strategies for Cognition/Communication, Self Advocacy) & Sarah Tandle, LMSW, Medical Social Worker (Coping with Depression After Stroke).
- Monday, February 20, 2017-Ellyn Riley, Ph.D., CCC-SLP (Role of Sleep and Fatigue in Stroke and Aphasia Recovery)
- Monday, March 20, 2017-Jessica Morley, FACTS Coordinator, BIANYS (Brain Injury Association of New York; Updates & Questions)
- Monday, April 17, 2017-Denali Remonda, PT, DPT, CBIS (Aquatic Exercise after a Stroke)
- Monday, May 15, 2017-Second Annual CNY Stroke Support Group Celebration (Stroke Awareness Month)
- Monday, June 19, 2017-Maria Fazzini, MS, LCAT, ATR-BC, Art Therapist (Using Art for Coping)
- Monday, July 17, 2017-Interdisciplinary Panel (Specialists will discuss stroke and stroke rehabilitation across the service lines)
- Monday, August 21, 2017, Jeanmarie Ripke, M.S., CCC-SLP, LSVT LOUD, Olivia Pollard, PT, DPT, Leslie Peck, PT, DPT(BIG/LOUD-applications for Stroke Survivors)
- Monday, September 18, 2017-Mikayla Manner, AMT (Movement Therapy-applications for Stroke Survivors)
- Monday, October 16, 2017-Chris Lighthipe, MS Ed., OTR/L (Sensory Strategies for Stroke Patients)
- Monday, November 20, 2017-MaryRose Kott, Retired NP (Health Care Directives, Making Health Care Decisions)
- Monday, December 18, 2017-Lenore Vaccarello, Spiritual Care Volunteer (Topics in Spirituality & Reiki)