Grant Application Checklist
Legal Entity for the submission of grant applications and receipt and administration of grant funds.
Website: Research Foundation of SUNY
Sponsored Programs Office Staff:
Research Foundation designees on the SUNY Upstate campus.
Phone: 315 464-5476
Website Sponsored Programs Office
The following is a guide to help you find funding and prepare and submit a grant application.
Each sponsor has different guidelines for preparation and submission of an application, but there are some general steps that most sponsors require:
- Identify extramural funding source
- Obtain program announcement
- Review program guidelines
- Note submission deadline
- Review forms and content specifications, selection criteria, and method of submission (electronic or paper)
Sponsored Programs Office staff will assist with application preparation and submission.
- Review program guidelines
- Develop a timeline to complete application
- Provide administrative information and budgetary requirements
Prepare the application using the sponsor forms and guidelines.
- SUNY Upstate Fact Sheet provides key information about the institution.
- The following documents provide valuable information regarding SUNY Upstate’s
- Descriptions of institutional resources and facilities can be found at:
- If your research involves the use of Human and/or Animal subjects or the use of biohazard or radioactive materials, you must contact the appropriate Compliance Office and sponsor guidelines to ensure that necessary pre-application actions are taken.
- Some sponsors require IRB and other approvals prior to proposal submission, while others accept applications that are pending approval. Review the guidelines carefully!
- Work closely with the Sponsored Programs office to complete all necessary forms.
- Restrictions on the number of pages, font size, margin size, and all of the required formatting/forms ARE taken seriously. If these specifications are not adhered to, the proposal can be returned without review.
- Develop an "Internal" or "Working" Budget. Most sponsors require the use of specific budget forms; an internal document will allow you to finalize the budget before completion of the application form.
- Make sure all costs are appropriate to the program.
- Use current fringe benefit rates
- Forward draft budget to Sponsored Programs Office for review.
Collaborating with another institution
If you are collaborating with another institution, the following materials must be obtained from the collaborating institution:
- Letter of Commitment
- Scope of Work
- Rate Agreement
- College Face Sheet must be reviewed and signed by the PI, co-PIs, and Department Chair(s) prior to grant submission.
- Conflict of Interest on-line disclosure must be completed prior to application submission. The link can be found here.