Fellows are responsible for attending all conferences where attendance will be taken. Promptness is demanded. Attendance at 70% of all conferences is required for a fellow to obtain board eligible status through this program. If your conference attendance is poor this could lead to not being promoted for the academic year. Be sure to sign the sign in sheet at each conference.
Each academic year will start with a lecture series on pulmonary physiology. This rotating series could include several lectures in July and August of each academic year. This will be followed by the following recurring conferences.
- Clinical Case Conference – 3109 Setnor Hall- Cases are presented by the fellow during this twice monthly clinical conference (held on Wednesday mornings from 7:30 to 8:30 A.M.), ideally one pulmonary and one critical care case twice a month. Fellows are expected to present a concise summary of the patient’s history, emphasize important physical examination findings and laboratory results and prepare a discussion of the unique features of the case or a review of literature on important questions. Cases should be either diagnostic dilemmas or cases where the management is the question. If the case is a diagnostic dilemma then it should be presented as an unknown with diagnostic and therapeutic advice solicited from the audience. The more discussion the better. For organizational sake the UH Pulmonary fellow will be in charge of ensuring a sufficient number of cases each week and for notifying Pathology at least one week in advance of pertinent cases (if a review of the pathologic material would be helpful). The Radiologist will interpret any pertinent Roetgenograms or scans. Additionally, the Pulmonary service attending should act as moderator to ensure the conference continues on a timely fashion. The fellow presenting the case should include a handout with the case description and a brief bibliography to be distributed. Rebuttal or additional information on the subject is encouraged and should be brought up at subsequent conferences by distribution of relevant articles. Topics to be covered in this conference include pathology, physiology and clinical management skills.
- Journal club - Will be held once a month on Monday, unless otherwise specified, in room 10405B UH. Two journal articles are presented once at each of these conferences. The responsibility of choosing the article and presenting the paper is rotated through the attending physicians and fellows. The fellows are expected to present the background, objectives, methods, results, conclusions and critique of the paper. The articles reviewed in this conference should be basic science or clinically based. The goals of this conference are to acquire and improve analysis skills and to foster an understanding of the scientific method. Dr Ghimire is primarily responsible for choosing the articles.
- Scientific sessions: Will be held on Friday's in room 103 WSK-This conference is an in depth discussion of selected topics in pulmonary and critical care. Speakers include the faculty of the division of pulmonary and critical care, faculty from other divisions, visiting professors (hopefully 3-6 per year) and fellows. Each fellow is expected to review and present a topic of interest twice a year (except for senior fellows - one per year). Emphasis will be on their abilities to organize a presentation and to review and analyze the relevant literature. The fellow should do this with the help of his mentor. Topics to be covered include physiology, pathology, statistics, immunology as well as specific clinical entities.
- Evidence-Based Medicine Conference: Will be held the third Friday of each month in room 103 WSK. The chief fellow will develop a rotating schedule of which fellows present at a given conference. The assigned fellow will raise a clinical question. The fellow will then research the literature to see what evidence is available for the treatment or diagnosis of that problem. The fellow will then present that material as well as a critique of the quality of the data supporting those conclusions.
- Pulmonary Pathology Conference is held the first Wednesday of each month in room 6717/UH. This conference aim is teach pulmonary pathology. It will be a combined conference and is attended by Pathology, Thoracic Surgery, Radiology and Pulmonary/Critical Care. The Thoracic Surgery resident and a Pulmonary/Critical Care fellow will each present a case. The PGY-6 fellow will e-mail or call Dr. Curtiss (4-4670) to meet and review their cases for the Pathology conference. If Radiology or Dr. Curtiss has interesting cases they may be presented as well. The PGY-6 fellow will present a brief history and physical exam in, the radiographs will be reviewed and then Dr. Curtiss will present the Pathology. There will be a broad discussion of the outcome of the case by the fellow. The PGY-6 fellows will share the responsibility for this conference.
- Research Conference: Will be held once a month on Monday in room 10405B UH. The purpose of this conference is to discuss ongoing projects or proposals for new projects.
- Morbidity & Mortality Review Conference will be held every other month (on the last Wednesday of that month) in room 3109 from 7:30 to 8:30 A.M. The purpose of this meeting is to review cases with unexpected or negative outcomes and to explore what could have been differently to achieve a better outcome.
- Board Review Conference: Will be held on alternate Monday's in room 10405B UH. The Pulmonary/CC attending physicians will rotate with this conference.
- Medical Power Rounds – Alumni Auditorium WSK- Occurs each Thursday from 7:15 - 8:00 AM and is a requested but not mandatory conference. Attendance when the Pulmonary & Critical Care faculty are presenting IS mandatory.