Welcome to Pulmonary Critical Care
Welcome to the Division of Pulmonary Critical Care and Sleep Medicine at SUNY Upstate Medical University.
Pulmonologists, critical care specialists, and certified sleep medicine specialists in the Division of Pulmonary Critical Care and Sleep Medicine have expertise in the range of respiratory conditions including but not limited to: acute and chronic respiratory failure; asbestosis and other occupational lung diseases; chronic obstructive lung diseases, including asthma, interstitial lung diseases, lung cancer diagnosis, pulmonary fibrosis, pulmonary vascular disease including pulmonary hypertension; sarcoidosis; sleep disorders; and various lung infections, obstructive sleep apnea, other sleep related disease and expertise in the care of critically ill patients.
Services offered through the Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine specialty include:
- Consultation and Patient Care at University Health Care Center
- Outpatient care and Consultation at Community Campus
- Outpatient Pulmonary and Sleep Medicine
- Department of Medicine Sleep Laboratory
- Pulmonary Consultations at Downtown Campus, Community Campus, and Crouse Hospital
- Medical Intensive Care Unit Services at Downtown Campus and the Intensive Care Unit at Community Campus
- We also work in cooperation with the Pulmonary-Critical Care and Sleep Division of the Veterans Hospital in Syracuse.
We offer specialized skills in bronchoscopy including fiberoptic and rigid bronchoscopy, endobronchial and transbronchial biopsy, endobronchial ultrasound guided transbronchial needle aspirates, endobronchial biopsy, bronchoalveolar lavage, endobronchial balloon dilatation and stent placement, endobronchial cryotherapy and YAG laser endobronchial resection. Our Pulmonary Function Laboratory offices and spirometry, flow volume loops, lung volume, diffusion capacity, methocholene challenge testing, HAST testing and cardiopulmonary exercise studies.
The Division members are all actively engaged in and dedicated to the training of the next generation of Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellows, Upstate Medical Students and residents from the Department of Medicine and Anesthesia through participation in didactic lectures to the general house staff, teaching rounds during Pulmonary consultation service, Fellow Conferences, and teaching rounds during MICU service. Division members have also been recognized for excellence in teaching within the SUNY Upstate Medical University.