Location: 750 E. Adams Street, Syracuse, NY 13210
Phone: 315 464-1520
Vision, Mission, Goals & Values
Our vision is to be recognized as a global leader in public health and preventive medicine.
The mission of the Department of Public Health and Preventive Medicine is to improve the health of the communities we serve, including rural, underserved, and global populations through education, research, outreach, service, and creative partnerships.
It will achieve this mission through:
- Collaborating with colleagues, communities, organizations, academic institutions, professionals and citizens
- Strengthening the capacity of health professionals to enhance the health of the public through consultation, skill development and education
- Pursuing high-quality research to strengthen public health knowledge and interventions
- Supporting the provision of public health and health services
GoalsThe mission of the department will be realized only by attainment of the following goals through well-planned and coordinated programs:
- To recruit and train a diverse student body in public health and preventive medicine
- To recruit and retain a diverse faculty in public health, preventive medicine, and outcomes research to meet institutional and departmental mission and goals
- To develop and implement a curriculum that emphasizes competencies for working with diverse, underserved, and rural populations
- To strengthen students' interest in and commitment to serving diverse, underserved, and rural populations
- To provide continuing educational opportunities for public health and health services professionals to meet the needs of underserved, rural and global populations
- To foster research activities that are consistent with the mission and vision of the institution and department and represent interdisciplinary and multi-method approaches
- To provide methodological expertise, collaboration and education in the design, implementation, understanding, analysis, and application of basic, clinical, and translational research
ValuesWe are a learning community that values:
- Integration of methods, ideas, and disciplines
- Shared and equitable responsibility for the mission of the department
- Academic freedom
- Diversity in academic contributions
- Making a difference in the communities we serve
- Financial responsibility
- Environmental responsibility
The interdisciplinary faculty of the Department of Public Health & Preventive Medicine have developed a curriculum providing students and faculty with the fundamental principles of public health and preventive medicine, the skills of critical judgment based on evidence and experience, and the ability to use principles and skills wisely in solving problems of disease- or injury-prevention.
The teaching faculty keep current with advances in the basic tenants of public health and social sciences and incorporate these concepts into the course work fostering students' ability to learn through self-directed, independent study throughout their professional lives.
The research faculty will keep current with advances in their respective fields and incorporate those skills when working with intra and extra institutional collaborators.