Marketing and University Communications
The First Steps to Creating a Marketing Tool
Call your Marketing account liaison and arrange a meeting.
Before the meeting, be prepared to answer the following questions
- What is your objective? (create awareness, enhance image, generate revenue, etc.)
- Who is you audience? (employees, prospective patients and families, prospective students, physicians, employers, managed care companies/third party payers, policy makers, media, donors)
- What message do you want to convey?
- What are you offering?
- What are the benefits?
- Are you prepared to keep promises made to your audience?
- What is your timeline?
- What action do you want your audience to take? (Most marketing efforts contain a call-to-action. That is, we ask the audience to do something: call for more information, enroll in a seminar, make an appointment with a physician, attend a lecture, schedule a screening, etc. In order to measure the success of our marketing efforts, we try to channel all responses to the Upstate Connect phone line. The Upstate Connect staff records the responses and takes the appropriate action.)
Not all programs and services qualify for
promotional funding from the Marketing Department.
If you can answer "yes" to some of the following questions, your program or service may be eligible for such support.
- Is your audience clearly identifiable?
- Does your service/program reflect well on the university image?
- Does your service/program generate revenue?
- Can your audience be reached at a reasonable cost?
- Is there capacity for an increase in volume?
- Does your audience have the potential to be motivated to take action?
- Can we measure the results of promoting your service/program?
- Does promoting your service/program benefit other services/programs?
- Is your project the result of a grant that includes funding for promotion?