Applying to Our Program
Katherine Spottek , Program Coordinator, Residency Training
Location: Department of Psychiatry, SUNY Upstate Medical University,
750 East Adams Street, Syracuse, New York 13210
Phone: 315 464-3106
Fax: 315 464-3163
Thank you for your interest in applying to our residency program. Our program was visited by the ACGME Residency Review Committee and 2012 and we are proud to say that we have been accredited until 2023! With our continued accreditation, dynamic curriculum and high board pass rate, our program continues to seek the most promising psychiatry applicants through the National Resident Matching Program.
Deciding which programs to apply to can be very difficult! We wanted to share some additional perks about our program that might make a difference for you:
- 4 weeks of vacation/year
- Department issued IPads
- Residents choose their own call
- 2 resident retreats/year
- Affordable city - Average rental costs $800 -$900/month
- Excellent medical and dental benefits
- Year 3 & 4 residents receive their own office
- Resident 'support' group meetings twice/week with lunch provided
The number of ERAS applications we receive each year continues to rise. On average, we receive 800 applications through the ERAS and that number continues to grow by 10 - 20% each year as our program continues to gain recognition. With that said, we closely adhere to the following criteria to screen our applicants:
- We accept applications only through ERAS.
- We prefer USMLE/COMLEX scores > 80 first attempt.
- Graduate of medical school within the last 5 years
- A passing score on the CS exam is desirable at the time of application, but not essential. You MUST pass the CS exam on the first attempt to be considered for an interview.
- ECFMG certification is required at the time of application.
- Letter of recommendation from an American psychiatrist.
- US experience is desirable but not essential.
- Step 3 is not required at the time of application.
- We sponsor J-1 Visas; H-1 Visas at the discretion of the Program Director and Chair.
- Application deadline is 12/15/13.
- Interviews are conducted between October and December.
- We will have openings for 6-8 incoming PGY-1 residents.
- We do not arrange for externships or observerships in the Department of Psychiatry.
What residents are saying about our program:
As a native of CNY, I have always been eager to return to my roots to practice medicine. When I was seeking out a post-graduate training program in psychiatry I was looking for three components: excellent teaching in the psychotherapeutic realm, strong community-based training and a supportive, resident-centered training program. The fact that I was able to find a program that incorporated all of those things right in the community that raised me was remarkable!
–Stacey Elliott, PGY1