Applying to Our Program
Katherine Spottek , Program Coordinator, Residency Training
Location: Department of Psychiatry, SUNY Upstate Medical University,
750 East Adams Street, Syracuse, New York 13210
Phone: 315 464-3106
Fax: 315 464-3163
The residency is accredited for the full four years of training required for Board certification in Psychiatry. Inquiries regarding the program may be addressed to the Director of Residency Training.
In the selection process, the Department adheres rigorously to the principles and procedures of the National Residency Matching Program, which is designed to protect the rights of applicants.
All applications are now being accepted exclusively through ERAS.
We use the following criteria to screen our applicants:
- We prefer USMLE scores > 80 first attempt.
- US experience is desirable but not essential.
- Letter of recommendation from a psychiatrist.
- Graduate of medical school within the last 5 years preferred.
- Step 3 is not required at the time of application.
- A passing score on the CS exam is desirable at the time of application, but not essential.
- ECFMG certification is required at the time of application.
- We accept applications only through ERAS.
- We sponsor J-1 Visas.
- We sponsor H-1 Visas at the discretion of the Program Director and Chair.
- Application deadline is 12/1/11.
- Interviews are conducted between October and December.
- We will have openings for 6-8 incoming PGY-1 residents.
- We do not arrange for externships or observerships in the Department of Psychiatry.