Our Residency Program
Welcome to Upstate Medical University, Department of Psychiatry Residency Program page! Our program's mission is to enhance resident education through creativity, innovation and humanities. We utilize the most effective methods and experiences in learning to weave together the newest findings in neurophysiology, pharmacology, somatic and psychotherapies to produce seamless biological, psychological and social approaches to healing. At the same time, we continue in a tradition of dialectical challenge, debate, discussion and research in what we hold as true and important.
What sets our program apart:
- Award-winning psychodynamic psychotherapy training program (2013 American Psychoanalytic Association Scientific Research Poster Award). Click here to read more about our Psychotherapy program.
- US News & World Report ranked our program as one of the top third psychiatry residency programs nationally and the highest ranked program outside of NYC, August 2015
- Innovative Rural Psychiatry Track - First in Central New York (click here to read more)
- Specialized 4-week intensive July orientation for incoming residents (click here to read more)
- The nations first training program to develop an integrated webcam system for clinical supervision
- Over $2 million grants in federally funded research in 2015-2016
- The nation's only dedicated mentoring program for PGY-1 residents.
- The nation's only residency program offering dual certification in MPA and psychiatry
- Board pass rate for the past 5 years is 84%
- 95% of residents rated their training program as positive or very positive in 2015-2016
- Flexibility to design your own research and elective experiences
- Innovative use of technology including Telepsychiatry
- Award winning Faculty - As a whole, our faculty collectively boast 19 Presidents Awards, 7 Chancellors Awards, one Jacobsen and two Distinguished Professors and countless Residents Teaching awards
Residency News and Updates
Our residents have published well over 60 articles and abstracts in the last ten years. Our residents have received both the Anne Alonso award in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and the Henderson Award in adult Psychiatry from the American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training (AADPRT). In addition, our residents have also received the hospital-wide Teamwork Award three times (a record for a single residency!) and Gold Humanism Award from their peers.
In July 2015, 2 of our senior residents were interviewed on our local radio show, HealthLink On Air, about their research on Social Media and the impact it can have on teens. Listen to Drs Mattar & Blatchford's link here .