Requirements for and Expectations of Participants
- Master's degree or higher in a field of mental health counseling
- License or certificate as a mental health professional through a state or national board which authorizes independent practice. Residents/interns/graduate students about to complete a course of study that will lead to full credentials as licensed mental health professionals may participate.
- Attendance at all sessions and participation in all didactic and experiential learning.
- Reading of Shapiro, Francine. (2001). Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing; Basic principles, protocols, and procedures, second edition. New York: Guilford, and other assigned materials.
- Successful completion of proficiency requirements.
- Ability to make arrangements and a commitment to use the EMDR method with a number of appropriate patients.
- Conducting at least two EMDR sessions focusing on trauma with patients, using the trauma protocol, and submitting a written description and analysis of the EMDR process of these two sessions. Also consider a video/audio recording.