Information About Youth
The majority of poisonings throughout the nation, involve children under the age of 5, they are the most at-risk group for unintentional poisonings. Children are naturally curious, as it is there way of learning about the world around them. Unfortunately, children put almost everything they seee and touch in their mouth, even if it doesn't smell or taste good. Ingestions are the number 1 cause of poisoning in children. Other poisoning can be dermal (on the skin), ocular (in the eye), respiratory, due to inhalation, or bites or stings.
Of the calls to the Poison Center
- 50% of calls to the poison center involve children under the age of 5
- 78% do not require a visit to a doctor or hospital
- 25% are for information only
How Do Poisonings Happen?Most poisonings are unintentional. They often occur…
- When a product is being used
- When a product is taken out of the original container
- When the product looks, smells or tastes like a harmless product
Always have the number for the Poison Center available by having a poison center phone sticker on the phone or a magnet with the number close by.
Educational brochures and telephone stickers are available to caregivers by calling:
Look-Alike Teaching Kits and Flip Chart are available on loan for teachers, daycare providers and caregiver groups interested in poison prevention. These materials are available on-loan (free) from the Poison Center or through many local Cooperative Extension Agencies in our service area.