History

  • 1957
    Central New York Poison Center established as one of the first in the nation
  • 1987
    Designated by NYS as one of six Regional Poison Centers
  • 1992
    Reorganized under the Emergency Department of SUNY Upstate Medical University
  • 1996
    Nationally accredited by the American Association of Poison Control Centers
  • 2001
    Nationally accredited by the American Association of Posion Control Centers
    Expanded service area from 14 to 24 counties with the closing of the Hudson Valley Poison Center
  • 2006
    Name changed to the Upstate New York Poison Center to better align with host institution and to more closely reflect the newly expanded service area
    Nationally accredited by the American Association of Poison Control Centers
  • 2011
    Expanded its service area from 34 to 54 counties in NYS with the closing of the Western and Finger Lakes Regional Poison Control Centers
    Nationally accredited by the American Association of Poison Control Centers
  • 2016
    Nationally accredited by the American Association of Poison Control Centers
  • 2017
    The Upstate New York Poison Center celebrates 60 years of service to the community