Location: Upstate University Hospital
750 East Adams Street, Syracuse, NY 13210
Phone: 315 464-4210
Upstate University Hospital's Pharmacy Department is a vibrant organization recognized nationally for its dedicated staff, advanced clinical practice, patient safety initiatives, strong partnership with clinicians, outstanding teaching and clinical training programs.
Our post-doctoral residency program provides a solid foundation in pharmaceutical care by providing the experience necessary to meet the challenges of evolving roles in pharmacy practice."
The Pharmacy Department is staffed by over 30 pharmacists and 30 support staff. Pharmacists are an integral and respected part of the multidisciplinary health care team. As support to all members of the health care team, they are increasing their responsibilities for designing, implementing and evaluating a therapeutic regimen to produce optimal outcomes for patients.
ServicesThe many contributions made by our pharmacists to providing quality, patient centered care include:
- Influencing the selection of appropriate and pharmacoeconomically sound therapies
- Monitoring drug therapy to ensure optimal patient care while minimizing adverse drug reactions
- Preparing drug monographs for presentation to Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
- Conducting drug-use evaluation studies
- Educating medical residents, medical students, pharmacy students, nurses and other health care professionals about pharmacotherapy
- Making recommendations on protocols, policies and procedures to ensure appropriate and economical use of agents
- Providing patient and family education about medications and potential side effects
- Clinical pharmacology services
- Participation in daily round with various medical teams
- Teach didactic courses for the medical and nursing school
- Premier clinical training site in upstate New York for final year doctor of pharmacy students
- Providing extended support for the Children's Hosptial and the Emergency Department