Orthopedic Nursing - 7A
Contact InformationJames Fitzgerald, RN, BSN
Patient Service Supervisor
Tammy Andrzejczak, RN
Patient Service Leader Trainer
Our orthopedic nurses are on the cutting edge of orthopedics. The orthopedic unit is a challenging and fast paced, 26-bed surgical unit. The nursing staff provide high quality, patient-focused care to the following patient populations:
Total Joint Replacements
- Multi-level Fusions
- Plastic (grafts, muscle flap)
Upstate is the regions Level One Trauma Center
- The RN leads the nursing team consisting of other RNs, LPNs, and hospital attendants. The nursing staff is supported by the unit secretarial team.
- There is close collaboration with Physicians, Physician Extenders, Social Work Services, Case Management, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Nutritional Services.
- All members of the team participate in daily discharge planning rounds which help coordi nate the transition of patients to home, rehabilitation centers or skilled nursing facilities.
- The nursing team is supported by a strong orthopedic leadership team consisting of the Patient Service Supervisor, Patient Service Leader, Nursing Director and the Orthopedics Clinical Nurse Educator.
A Great Work Environment
- Computerized Nursing Documentation
- Computerized Physician Orders
- We strive to provide flexible and creative staffing patterns.
- Continued learning and career advancement is encouraged and supported. Orthopedic nursing is recognized as a professional specialty at University Hospital; certification/recertification is reimbursed.
- A satellite physical therapy gym is located on the floor.
- The orthopedic surgeons are internationally known and respected.