Darryl Geddes 315 464-4828
SUNY Upstate’s Sara Jo Grethlein, M.D., named physician of the year
SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Sara Jo Grethlein, M.D., an oncologist at University Hospital and a faculty member at SUNY Upstate Medical University, has been named the 2006 Physician of the Year by the New York State Society of Physician Assistants (NYSSPA) in recognition of her contributions to the physician assistant profession.
“Dr. Grethlein is a role model for all of us as she is caring and compassionate physician who has always been and continues to be a supportive and willing advocate for issues pertaining the physician assistant practice,” said Elle Abel, a physician assistant who chairs the NYSSPA education committee.
Grethlein has served as supervisor of physician assistants at University Hospital and has played a key role in providing continuing medical education opportunities for physician assistants.
In addition to her clinical responsibilities, Grethlein also serves SUNY Upstate in a variety of roles, including as associate dean for graduate medical education and associate professor of internal medicine.
Other recent accolades for Grethlein include the 2005 SUNY Upstate President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching and the 2002 Anita Award for Hospice and Palliative Care.
Grethlein earned her medical degree in 1988 from SUNY Downstate. She joined the SUNY Upstate faculty in 1994.
Grethlein resides in Manlius.
Search Upstate News
Upstate in the News
- Type 2 Diabetes in Youth Progresses Faster, More Aggressively Than in Adults, Even Under Optimal Treatment Conditions
American Diabetes Association
- May is Stroke Awareness Month
News 10 Now
- SUNY Upstate Medical University graduation Sunday
Syracuse Post Standard
- SEFCU donates $250,000 to Upstate Medical University
Central New York Business Journal
- State to fund $21 million energy efficiency upgrade at SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse
- Doctors explain injuries, treatment and rehab of marathon victims
News 10 Now