Darryl Geddes 315 464-4828
Smucny named interim chair of SUNY Upstate family medicine department
SYRACUSE, N.Y. — John J. Smucny, M.D., associate professor at SUNY Upstate Medical University, has been appointed interim chairman of SUNY Upstate’s Department of Family Medicine. Smucny succeeds Lorne Becker, M.D., who headed the Department of Family Medicine since 1995.
Smucny, who joined the SUNY Upstate faculty in 1996, also serves as director of the undergraduate division in the Department of Family Medicine.
A family practice physician with an office in Syracuse, Smucny has served as a family practice physician with Womack Army Medical Center in Fort Bragg, N.C., and the 121st Evacuation Hospital in Seoul, South Korea.
His research and medical analysis have been published widely in numerous journals and he has been awarded more than $700,000 in grants to study and develop family medicine faculty development programs.
Board certified in Family Medicine, Smucny received his medical degree from Case Western Reserve University in 1988. He also holds a master’s degree in public administration from Syracuse University’s Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs.
Smucny resides in Manlius.
Search Upstate News
Upstate in the News
- New York Teen Donates Kidney to Younger Brother: 'This Was My Chance to Save Him'
- Syracuse teen receives kidney transplant from older brother
WTVH CBS5 Syracuse
- Inside the Mind of the Munich Mass Killer
- How 'Determined Danielle' became president of Upstate Medical University
Syracuse Post Standard
- BRCA Gene Mutations May Influence Prostate Cancer Risk
Renal and Urology News
- Upstate Medical to use nearly $200,000 in NSF funding to fight Zika virus
Central New York Business Journal