Kathleen Paice 315 464-4839
Zuber receives Research to Prevent Blindness award
Michael E. Zuber, Ph.D., a research assistant professor at SUNY Upstate Medical University, is one of four scientists nationally to receive a $200,000 Career Development Award from Research to Prevent Blindness (RPB), the world’s leading voluntary health organization supporting eye research. The four year grant will further his study of retinal stem cells.
“This RPB award distinguishes Dr. Zuber as a young scientist whose investigation into the visual system shows great promise,” said John Hoepner, M.D., chair of SUNY Upstate’s Department of Ophthalmology.
Zuber joined the Department of Ophthalmology in January 2003 as a Hitchings-Elion Postdoctoral Fellow, a post funded by Burroughs Wellcome.
Zuber earned his Ph.D. in biochemistry from the University of Wisconsin, Madison (1995) and bachelor’s degrees in biology and chemistry from Truman State University (1988).
Since 1998, RPB has provided the ophthalmology department with more than $1 million in funding, including an on-going annual award of $110,000 to further research into the visual system. The department has attracted $8.5 million in peer reviewed funding from the National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation and other agencies and lists among its funding sources $1.2 million from the Grateful Patient campaign of the Upstate Medical University Foundation and $250,000 from the Lions Clubs of District 20-YI.
Search Upstate News
Upstate in the News
- Type 2 Diabetes in Youth Progresses Faster, More Aggressively Than in Adults, Even Under Optimal Treatment Conditions
American Diabetes Association
- May is Stroke Awareness Month
News 10 Now
- SUNY Upstate Medical University graduation Sunday
Syracuse Post Standard
- SEFCU donates $250,000 to Upstate Medical University
Central New York Business Journal
- State to fund $21 million energy efficiency upgrade at SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse
- Doctors explain injuries, treatment and rehab of marathon victims
News 10 Now