Darryl Geddes 315 464-4828
Pulitzer-winning author and Newsday reporter to speak on the collapse of global public health June 19 at SUNY Upstate
Laurie Garrett, author of The New York Times bestseller “The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance,” and the only author ever to win a Peabody, Polk, and Pulitzer, will present a public lecture Thursday, June 19, at 8:30 a.m. at the Weiskotten Hall Medical Alumni Auditorium, 766 Irving Avenue on the SUNY Upstate Medical University campus.
Garrett’s presentation is titled “The Betrayal of Trust,” a title adapted from her most recent book, “Betrayal of Trust: The Collapse of Global Public Health.”
Garrett is a medical and science writer for Newsday. She has also written about infectious diseases for many publications, including Foreign Affairs, Esquire, Vanity Fair, The Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post and Current Issues in Public Health and has appeared frequently on national television programs, including Nightline, The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer and The Charlie Rose Show.
Garrett’s lecture is part of grand rounds for the combined departments of pediatrics and medicine at SUNY Upstate Medical University.
[b]Editor’s note: Garrett will be available for interviews following her lecture at 10 a.m. Please notify Darryl Geddes by calling 464-4828 if you plan to cover.[/b]
Search Upstate News
Upstate in the News
- New York Teen Donates Kidney to Younger Brother: 'This Was My Chance to Save Him'
- Syracuse teen receives kidney transplant from older brother
WTVH CBS5 Syracuse
- Inside the Mind of the Munich Mass Killer
- How 'Determined Danielle' became president of Upstate Medical University
Syracuse Post Standard
- BRCA Gene Mutations May Influence Prostate Cancer Risk
Renal and Urology News
- Upstate Medical to use nearly $200,000 in NSF funding to fight Zika virus
Central New York Business Journal