News from Upstate
Doretta Royer 315 464-4833
Upstate announces the following appointments and recognitions
Upstate Medical University announces the following appointments and recognitions:
• The Rev. Terry Ruth Culbertson, M.D.I.V., B.C.C., C.T. was recertified as a thanatologist in death, dying and bereavement for 2011-2013 by the Credentialing Council of the Association for Death Education and Counseling. Culbertson is spiritual care manager/ clinical pastoral education supervisor and clinical assistant professor of medicine at Upstate.
• Hugh Bonner, Ph.D., professor and dean of the College of Health Professions, has been elected president of the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) for a one-year term, effective July 1. The announcement was made at CAAHEP’s Annual Meeting of Commissioners, held April 10 and 11 in Memphis, Tenn. Bonner has served the organization as commissioner and as vice-president of CAAHEP’s Board of Directors. Bonner also was re-elected for a second, three-year term to the board for the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), the premier international agency for accreditation and approval of educational programs in the clinical laboratory sciences and related health professions. Bonner resides in Jamesville.
• William Gokey, executive sous chef for Morrison Healthcare at Upstate University Hospital, was recently honored with the Chef Professionalism Award from the American Culinary Foundation for exemplifying the highest standard of professionalism through certification, continuing education, training and community involvement. Gokey resides in Syracuse.
• Dale Avers, P.T., D.P.T., Ph.D., co-authored, and contributed four chapters, to the third edition of Geriatric Physical Therapy and participated in a book signing for the edition at The Centers at St. Camillus. Avers is director of the Post Professional Doctor of Physical Therapy program in the College of Health Professions. Avers resides in Syracuse.
• A poster by Upstate University Hospital’s LEAPP Team placed third among 50 posters presented at the annual convention of the Society of Pediatric Nurses, held March 31 to April 3 in Las Vegas. The poster, titled “Look Before You LEAPP: An Evidence-Based Approach to Pediatric Procedural Management,” was selected by members of the society’s Research and Clinical Practice Committees.
Search Upstate News
Upstate in the News
- New York Teen Donates Kidney to Younger Brother: 'This Was My Chance to Save Him'
- Syracuse teen receives kidney transplant from older brother
WTVH CBS5 Syracuse
- Inside the Mind of the Munich Mass Killer
- How 'Determined Danielle' became president of Upstate Medical University
Syracuse Post Standard
- BRCA Gene Mutations May Influence Prostate Cancer Risk
Renal and Urology News
- Upstate Medical to use nearly $200,000 in NSF funding to fight Zika virus
Central New York Business Journal