Darryl Geddes 315 464-4828
John McCabe, M.D., named interim chief executive officer of University Hospital
SYRACUSE, N.Y.— John McCabe, M.D., professor and chair of the Department of Emergency Medicine, has been named interim chief executive officer and senior vice president for clinical affairs of University Hospital, effective June 1. The appointment was announced today by Upstate Medical University President David R. Smith, M.D.
“We are grateful to Dr. McCabe for taking on this interim appointment,” Smith said. “He is a skilled physician-administrator who is well versed in every issue that will come across his desk in this interim role. His leadership will enable us to make a seamless transition when a new CEO for University Hospital is appointed.”
McCabe has been a member of the Upstate faculty for more than 20 years and has held a variety of key administrative positions throughout his tenure, including vice president and vice dean for clinical affairs. He has served as chair of the Department of Emergency Medicine since 2003 and from 1991 to 1996. He has also previously served as medical director and chief of staff at University Hospital. He earned his medical degree from Upstate in 1979.
McCabe will succeed Phillip S. Schaengold, J.D., who has been named president and chief executive officer of Memorial Health in Savannah, Ga.
Search Upstate News
Upstate in the News
- New York Teen Donates Kidney to Younger Brother: 'This Was My Chance to Save Him'
- Syracuse teen receives kidney transplant from older brother
WTVH CBS5 Syracuse
- Inside the Mind of the Munich Mass Killer
- How 'Determined Danielle' became president of Upstate Medical University
Syracuse Post Standard
- BRCA Gene Mutations May Influence Prostate Cancer Risk
Renal and Urology News
- Upstate Medical to use nearly $200,000 in NSF funding to fight Zika virus
Central New York Business Journal