Doretta Royer 315 464-4833
SUNY Upstate announces appointments, honors and awards
SYRACUSE, N.Y. — SUNY Upstate Medical University announces the following appointments, honors and awards:
• Vipin Bansal, MD, of Syracuse, has joined the Department of Anesthesiology as an instructor, specializing in pediatric anesthesiology. He recently completed a fellowship in pediatric anesthesiology in 2008 at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Ohio.
• Luke Probst, Pharm.D., of Manlius, has been promoted to associate director of pharmacy, specializing in pediatric services and responsible for the design and implementation of pharmacy services for the Golisano Children’s Hospital at Upstate.
• Janet (Jana) Sobczak, assistant professor in the College of Nursing, published an article, titled “Struggling to Reconnect: Women’s Perspectives on Alcohol Dependence, Violence, and Sexual Function” in the December 2008 issue of the Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. Sobczak resides in Camillus.
• Beth Erwin, director of Medical Staff Services, has earned received a Certified Professional Medical Services Management citation. Erwin resides in Syracuse.
• William (Bill) MacDonald has been appointed fire marshal as part of SUNY Upstate’s Environmental Health and Safety team. He brings more than 30 years of experience to the position and is a certified fire protection specialist. MacDonald resides in Oswego.
• Irene Cherrick, M.D., of Fayetteville, associate professor and principal investigator for SUNY Upstate for the Children’s Oncology Group, received the Anita Award from Hospice of Central New York in recognition her for excellence in the care of patients with life-threatening illnesses.
• David R. Smith, M.D., president of SUNY Upstate, has been elected to the American Pediatric Society (APS). Smith, a pediatrician by training resides in DeWitt.
• SUNY Upstate’s Regional Perinatal Center’s ultrasound services has been reaccredited through 2011 by the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine’s Ultrasound Practice Accreditation Council.
• The Upstate Child Care Center has received a five-year accreditation by the Academy for Early Childhood Program of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
• Shawky Z.A. Badawy, M.D., professor and chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and director of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, presented his research on endometriosis at the 13th Annual International meeting of the Egyptian Fertility and Sterility Society in Cairo, Egypt. He also presented a lecture on pediatric and adolescent gynecology at Zagazig University in Egypt where he was awarded the Medal of the Medical Syndicate of Sharkia Province and a letter of commendation in appreciation of his teaching and contributions to the specialty, worldwide. Badawy resides in DeWitt.
• George Gaebler, director of Respiratory Care, was elected to a two-year term as vice president of internal affairs for the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC). Gaebler resides in Preble.
• Gail Banach, director of education at the Upstate New York Poison Center at SUNY Upstate, was invited to participate in the stakeholder meeting hosted by the Centers for Disease Control focusing on preventing unsupervised medication ingestions and overdoses in children. She was included among other national leaders who outlined strategies for preventing unintentional overdoses of over-the-counter children’s medication. Banach resides in the town of Onondaga.
• Dominic A. Carone, Ph.D., has received board certification status in clinical neurophysiology from the American Board of Professional Psychology. Carone resides in Baldwinsville.
Search Upstate News
Upstate in the News
- Pet Therapy: A way to relieve stress when sick
Capital News 9 Albany
- Cyberbullying Series: No escape, effects of bullying may last into adulthood
Capital News 9 Albany
- Guideline: Blood thinners to prevent stroke
- Healing dry, cracked skin
Capital News 9 Albany
- Fayetteville resident ranked as one of the world's leading experts on immune disorder
CNYLINK Syracuse Eagle Newspapers
- Former patient raises money to buy air hockey table for Upstate Golisano Children's Hospital
Syracuse Post Standard