On Call & Benefits
Monday through Friday 24-hour emergency coverage by senior residents is handled from 7 AM to 7 PM by the Neurology Admitting Resident. From 7 PM to 7 AM it is handled by the General Neurology Night Float. These rotations are built in to the rotation schedule, and are distributed throughout the 3 year program, primarily in the second and third years.. Each senior resident takes 24 hour Saturday call approximately 1 in 10 weekends and 12 hour Sunday call 1 in 10 week-ends.
First year neurology residents (R1) take short call (5 pm to 9 pm) five days per week, covering patients on the UH and VA ward services, taking direct admissions and assisting the senior residents in the ER. Junior residents take 24 hour Saturday call approximately 1 in 5 week-ends and 12 hour Sunday call 1 in 5 week-ends.
The department subsidizes resident membership in the American Academy of Neurology.
This membership includes a subscription to:
Official journal of the American Academy of Neurology
American Academy of Neurology's self-study continuing medical education monograph
- Each resident receives $500 stipend for educational expenses.
- First year residents receive 3 days of educational leave.
- Second year residents receive 5 days of educational leave.
- Third year residents receive 7 days of education leave.
- Residents presenting as first author at national meetings receive department support for travel expenses.
- Lab coats and scrubs are provided.
- Residents have use of a newly renovated suite with: