Upstate: Applications to the College of Medicine must be complete by December 1
How to Apply
The Road to Upstate
Thank you for your interest in the MD/PhD Program at SUNY Upstate Medical University! Please click on each item for step-by-step instructions.
Upstate Medical University, like nearly all accredited medical schools in the United States, participates in the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS).
You must complete the AMCAS application online at www.amcas.com and submit it to AMCAS along with your official college transcripts and MCAT scores. AMCAS will forward your application to Upstate.
Deadline for submitting the AMCAS application is October 15th.
Per our AMCAS policy:
1. Matriculated students at Upstate in the College of Medicine MD Program are eligible to apply. It is recommended to do so in their first of medical school. We can use your AMCAS application from your original application to medical school but require three supplemental letters of recommendations from those familiar with your potential for investigative research and two additional essays; the MD/PhD Essay and Significant Research Essay. These supplemental materials have the same deadline as those applying traditionally, December 1st.
2. Internal PhD Students are not eligible to apply to the MD/PhD Program.
2. Submit a SUNY Upstate Medical University Secondary Application
Once your application is received from AMCAS, a link to the Secondary application will be sent you. The supplemental Application must be submitted to Upstate Medical University by December 1.
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Student Admissions & Financial Aid Processing
Weiskotten Hall, Room 1213
766 Irving Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13210
Supplemental Application Fees can be paid via credit card.
3. Submit Letters of Recommendation
Applicants must submit a letter of evaluation from their Health Professions Advisory Committee or Pre-health Advisor AND three letters of recommendation from those familiar with your academic record and potential for investigative research. SUNY Upstate Medical University participates in the AMCAS Letter of Recommendation Service. Appropriate letters of recommendation (link to LOR page) must be submitted to AMCAS by October 15th. All letters must be submitted directly to AMCAS.
4. Incomplete Applications
Missing information emails will be sent every two weeks to let students know what is needed to complete their application.
5. Complete Applications
Once an application is complete, students will receive an email letting them know that their application is complete and will be reviewed by the MD/PhD Program Admissions Committee. When the review is complete, applicants will be notified by email or letter, as to the status of their application.
6. Invitation to Interview
Each year the MD/PhD Program schedules two interview sessions - one in November and December or January. Candidates will be invited to campus for a two or three day visit to complete the various interviews and laboratory visits. There will be an opportunity to meet with current students, also.
7. Admissions Committee
Following the interview, applications are reviewed by the MD/PhD Admissions Committee. The committee is made up of faculty members, and SUNY Upstate administrators. The Admissions Committee is looking for:
- well rounded students with strong academic records and MCAT scores
- applicants motivated to pursue a career in academic medicine
- applicants with research experience in addition to the required laboratory courses
- publications are not necessary, but a great addition to an application
- students who were well-spoken and knowledgeable during their interviews and interactions on-campus
Students will be notified of the Committee's Decision on a rolling basis. Final decisions may not be sent until May. One of the following decisions will be made for each interviewed applicant:
Students will receive an email and/or a phone call that they have been accepted. Official acceptance letters and other relevant information will be mailed out. Once students have paid their deposit, they will receive an email with information on how to log onto MyUpstate.
- High Priority Alternate:
Students placed on the high priority alternate list may be called at anytime, up to and including the day of registration. The admissions office does not release information regarding individual placement on the alternate list. This is an active alternate list and one we pull students off of every year, but where we get on this list will vary from year to year.
Students who are not accepted by the admissions committee will receive an email with the option to transfer their application to MD ONLY or PhD ONLY.
9. You have been admitted
Once you have been admitted and paid a deposit, you will have access to health clearance forms, orientation materials, registration and housing information through My Upstate.
You will also be invited to attend the 2nd Visit Day offered at Upstate Medical University. On this day you will have mini-presentations about the curriculum, student affairs, campus activities, and even get a chance to see what it is like in our clinical skills and anatomy labs. There will also be a student panel to answer any questions that you may have. It will provide you with an opportunity to decide if SUNY Upstate Medical University is the right medical school for you!