Nursing Job Shadowing
Contact: Kathy Truex, Nursing Recruitment
Phone: 315 464-4810
Non-Nursing Job Shadowing
Shadowing experiences are to be set-up by and required paperwork handled by the individual requesting to shadow/the department agreeing to sponsor the individual.
For questions related to non-nursing job shadowing policy, process, and/or required paperwork, please contact:
Contact: Tracie Wildner, Professional Development Advisor
Phone: 315 464-6125
Job shadowing provides experiential learning through observation. It is designed to help individuals gain knowledge of health career opportunities and the skills that different occupations require.
To be permitted a job shadowing experience at any site affiliated with Upstate Medical University, the person must be minimum age of 14 years (Exception: OR and OB/GYN must be minimum age of 18). Job shadowing requests may last up to a maximum of three 3-days (for requests of more than 3-days, see Departmental Internships / Affiliating School).
- Individuals interested in job shadowing at Upstate Medical University are responsible for directly arranging their shadowing experience with the department where they would like to shadow.
- Please visit our Building Locations and Directions webpage to view building directories in order to find departments, locations, and contact information (click on the building/location of interest, click the 'Services' tab at the top-right of the map).
- If an Upstate department/staff member agrees to sponsor the shadowing experience being requested, the required education and forms at the bottom of this page need to be completed.
Department Responsibilities (To be completed BEFORE the Job Shadowing experience begins)
Departments should reference Upstate's Job Shadowing Policy, UW J-01 (Intranet Only).
- The sponsoring department is responsible for ensuring the job shadowing individual completes all required education/forms and receives health clearance.
- The Health Clearance form ONLY should be submitted to Upstate's Employee Health Office. The sponsoring department must maintain all other required forms on file within the department for the duration of the shadowing experience.
- The sponsoring department is also responsible for entering the job shadowing individual into the PassagePoint Visitors & Vendors system in order to obtain a visitor’s ID each day. The individual should be advised to bring photo ID with them.
- Job shadowing individuals will be responsible for all incurred parking expenses.
To Be Completed by Student Prior to Job Shadowing Experience:
- Non-Employee Health Clearance Form (return to Employee Health Office)
- Risk Release Form (return to department/person you are shadowing)
- Confidentiality Agreement (return to department/person you are shadowing)
- HIPAA Privacy Rule Education and Completion Certificate (return to department/person you are shadowing)
- Non-Employee Orientation Guide and Completion Certificate:
- Non-Employee Orientation Guide (All Upstate locations) and (return to department/person you are shadowing)
The Health Clearance form ONLY should be submitted to Upstate's Employee Health Office. Return all other required forms to the department/person sponsoring your job shadowing experience.