Exam Announcements Related to Upstate
Please read each announcement for specific exam date and application deadline information. *Please contact Bryant Tyler @ 464-4940 or Lindsay Root @ 464-4931 for more information regarding any Civil Service exams.
- 20-658 Medical Office Assistant (Please contact Bryant Tyler at 315-464-4940 for information)
- 26-257 , Electronic Equipment Mechanic
- NYS Exam/Test Guides and Resource Booklets
- CSEA Work Institute e-Learning Center
- Civil Service Test Prep and Job Info
- Participating in an Examination
- New Announcement Issue Notification by E-mail
- Civil Service website
- Exam Links & Schedules
- Employment Opportunities with NYS
Civil Service ExamsMost State classified positions within SUNY Upstate Medical University require candidates to take an exam for that specific job title.
Some of the competitive class positions that require an exam at SUNY Upstate Medical University include the titles of:
- Office Assistant 1 Titles
- Office Assistant 2 Titles
- Hospital Patient Services Clerk 1 & 2
- Secretary 1 & 2
- Nursing Station Clerk 1
- Pharmacy Aide
- Medical Assistant*
- Recreation Therapist*
*Contact Bryant Tyler at 315-464-4940 for information.
Why an Exam?
- Per NYS Constitution, tests measure merit and fitness of candidates for positions
- Examinations give qualified candidates an equal opportunity to compete for the position
- Examinations allow an employee to advance or change careers
- Examinations are based on the job title of the position
- Candidates must meet minimum qualifications for examination
- Test results are usually available in 90-120 days
- Minimum passing score: 70
- Candidates are then placed on an Eligible List for their selected geographic area
Please note: A small percentage of State jobs do not require a competitive Civil Service exam. Positions that do not require an exam include those such as Hospital Attendant 1, Nursing Assistant 2 & Laborer.