Definitions: As used in these Bylaws, unless otherwise specified, the following terms shall mean:
- Upstate: Upstate Medical University including the College of Health Professions, College of Nursing, College of Graduate Studies, College of Medicine, and such other colleges as may hereafter be established by the State University of New York Upstate Medical University.
- Board of Trustees: the Board of Trustees of the State University of New York.
- Chancellor: The Chancellor of the State University of New York.
- President: Chief Administrative Officer of SUNY Upstate Medical University.
- Upstate Council: The University Council at Upstate as required under New York Education law Section 356 and as provided for in Article VIII of the Policies of the SUNY Board of Trustees.
- Professional staff: All persons occupying positions designated by the Chancellor as being in the unclassified service.
- Academic Rank: Rank held by those members of the professional staff having the titles of professor, associate professor, assistant professor, and instructor, and rank held by members of the professional staff having the titles of librarian, associate librarian, senior assistant librarian, and assistant librarian.
- Academic Staff: The staff comprised of those persons having academic rank or qualified academic rank. Also known as Faculty.
- Qualified Academic Rank: Rank held by those members of the academic staff having title of lecturer or titles of academic rank preceded by the designations clinical or visiting or other similar designation.
- Research Foundation Faculty: Voluntary (not paid by SUNY) faculty with courtesy faculty appointment.
- College: Academic component of Upstate Medical University as defined by the Administration of SUNY Upstate Medical University that includes the Colleges of Health Professions, Nursing, Medicine and Graduate Studies.
- Administrative Officers: Inclusive of the President, Deans, Academic Affairs Officers, Library Director and Vice-presidents.
- Upstate Faculty: the organization comprised of all the full and part-time members of Upstate Faculty and chaired by the Upstate University President.
- Upstate Faculty Council: The elected body of the Upstate Faculty that represents the entire Upstate Faculty.
- Councilor: Those elected representatives from each college to the Upstate Faculty Council.
- Upstate college governance bodies: Medical College Assembly, College of Health Professions, Nursing and Library Faculty Assembly and Graduate Faculty Organization.
- Upstate college representative bodies: Medical College Assembly Executive Committee (MCAEC), Graduate Council of the College of Graduate Studies.