Upstate SUNY Faculty Senators 5
In accordance with the rules and regulations of the University Faculty Senate of the State University of New York, the voting faculty and professional staff shall provide for the election of representatives to serve in the SUNY University Faculty Senate.
- Responsibilities 2.5:
- Faculty Senators shall fulfill their responsibilities in the University Faculty Senate of the State University of New York, and in addition, shall perform the duties of these Bylaws by the parliamentary authority adopted by the Upstate Faculty or Upstate Faculty Council. 5
- The SUNY University Faculty Senators serve as members of the Upstate Faculty Council. 1
Any person who has been a member of the Upstate Academic, Professional staff or Research Foundation Faculty for a minimum of 12 months with the exception of voluntary faculty.
The number of Senators is determined by the policies and procedures of the State University of New York.
- Term of Office:
- Term of office is 3 years; no Senator may serve more than 2 consecutive terms unless at least 1 year has elapsed from the conclusion of the 2nd term.
- No Senator may serve after termination of employment.
Term is for 3-years coinciding with the Senator for which they are serving as alternate. The term must be the same as the Senator.
- Nominations & Elections:
Proviso: the current Senators and Alternate Senators shall fulfill their current terms of office and the nomination & election process shall occur as vacancies occur.
- The Upstate Faculty Council committee of Council Operations is responsible for the nominations process for Senators and their alternates according to its policies and procedures.
- The Upstate Faculty Council Committee of Council Operations shall, in consultation with Human Resources, determine voting eligibility.
- All professional staff of Upstate shall have a vote for the Senators and alternates.
- Election for Senators and alternates is by plurality vote with an electronic, secret ballot.
- In the event a Senator cannot fulfill his/her term through resignation, death, or declared vacancy, the Senators Alternate shall assume the Senators position and fulfill the remainder of the term. Re-election shall be consistent with the term of the vacating Senator.
- A vacancy of an Alternate Senator position created in any manner shall be filled by election for the remainder of the unexpired term; an Alternate Senator position must be declared vacant if the Alternate Senator cannot perform the duties of office for a period of one academic year or longer.
- If neither the Senator nor his/her Alternate are able to represent Upstate for a period in excess of 4 months during the academic year, both offices shall be declared vacant and the unexpired terms shall be filled through a new election.
- If a leave of absence or other reason shall prevent a Senator or Alternate from performing the duties of office for a period of one academic year or longer, the position shall be declared vacant and a new election shall be held to fill the remainder of the unexpired term. An individual currently serving as an alternate may run in the election for a Senate seat that has been vacated in this manner.