All matriculated Upstate students are eligible for SCS services. SCS does not provide services to students on extended leaves of absence or who are not matriculated. SCS also does not provide services to resident physicians; residents interested in mental health services should contact the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at 315-464-5760.

Students in Crisis

In the case of a genuine emergency, students should call 911 or go directly to the nearest emergency room. Students not wishing to be seen at Upstate's emergency room, can go to CPEP at St. Joseph's Hospital (301 Prospect Ave., Syracuse, 315-448-6555). CPEP (Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program) is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to anyone with an emotional or psychiatric crisis. CPEP provides crisis intervention, assessment, and treatment, as well as referral for ongoing services (if needed). Students seeking services here or at any other emergency room will need to use personal health insurance to cover the associated costs. Students in crisis may also contact University Public Safety at 464-4000 for assistance.

CONTACT (315-251-0600) provides free, anonymous 24-hour telephone counseling, crisis intervention, and referral for ongoing services.

Please note that Student Counseling does not provide 24-hour crisis services. Phone messages left after business hours will not be received until the following business day. Students in crisis during hours of operation may contact the center (464-3120). Let the secretary know that your need is urgent when you call. We will return your call as soon as possible to determine if follow-up assistance or intervention may be indicated.

For more options in crisis situations:

Individual Counseling

Students interested in services will have an initial consultation with a psychologist. Further recommendations will be based on that meeting. These recommendations may include ongoing counseling through Student Counseling. These services are free to the student. Counseling can help students address a variety of concerns, including stress management, adjustment difficulties, anxiety and relationship problems. Most students find brief intervention - often six sessions or less - to be sufficient to meet their needs; however, the length of counseling is determined on a case-by-case basis by the student and his/her therapist. Students presenting with significant mental health issues or difficulties that require long-term psychotherapy may be referred to a community provider if a therapist is not available to work with the student at the time of presentation. In such cases students are responsible for the cost of services. Please note that Student Counseling does not provide services that are mandated or otherwise required by any judicial, academic, or professional body. Referrals for such services are available through Student Counseling.

Couples Counseling

Student Counseling offers treatment to married and unmarried couples, regardless of sexual orientation. At least one member of the couple must be a student at Upstate. Students in need of couples therapy may be referred to a clinic specializing in that service (e.g., the Goldberg Couple and Family Center External Icon at Syracuse University) if there is not a therapist available to take the case at the time of referral.

Psychiatric Referral/Treatment

Advanced residents in psychiatry work through Student Counseling to provide consultations and ongoing management of psychotropic medications to students in need of such services. Although this service is free, the cost of the medication is the student's responsibility. Please note that resident availability is limited. When a resident is not available to work with students, Student Counseling will provide referrals to community psychiatrists. In such cases the cost of services will be the students responsibility.

Referral for Special Evaluations

Students seeking academic accommodations for learning disabilities, ADHD or psychiatric problems should be advised that Student Counseling does not provide evaluations or letters to document the presence of disabling disorders. Students in need of such evaluations are invited to contact Student Counseling for referrals to clinicians in the community who can provide this service. Students should contact the Office of Disability Services directly to learn more about the process of obtaining accommodations.

A Note on Excuse Notes

Student Counseling does not provide notes to instructors to excuse students from classes, exams or clinical responsibilities. At your request and written authorization your counselor may inform your instructor of the dates and times of your appointments or of general information related to your counseling.