If You are in Crisis
In the case of a genuine emergency, students should call 911 (from cell) or Public Safety (464-4000 from campus landline) or go directly to the nearest emergency room.
Student Counseling does not provide 24-hour crisis services. Messages left after business hours will not be received until the following business day. Students in crisis during business hours may contact the Center at: (315) 464-3120. Let the secretary know that your need is urgent when you call. We will return your call as soon as possible to determine if follow-up assistance or intervention may be indicated.
Other options during times of crisis include:
- CONTACT 24-hour Crisis Hotline 315 251-0600
Trained counselors are available by phone 24/7 to provide free, anonymous crisis counseling, crisis intervention, and referral for community services.
- St Joseph's Hospital - CPEP (Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program)
301 Prospect Ave., Syracuse, NY 13203
This emergency program is available 24/7 to anyone with an emotional or psychiatric crisis. CPEP provides crisis intervention, assessment, and treatment, as well as referral for ongoing services. Students seeking services here will need to use personal health insurance to cover associated costs.
- SUNY Upstate Medical University Emergency Room
315 464-5540 (switchboard)
750 East Adams Street, Syracuse, NY 13210-2375
SUNY Upstate provides emergency assessment, psychiatric hospitalization, and outpatient mental health care. Individuals in crisis may present to the ER or call the switchboard to speak to ER personnel.
- Vera House/Rape Crisis Center
Vera House provides a 24-hour hotline, counseling, support, and advocacy/referral services for women, men and children who are victims of domestic violence or sexual assault.
- The National Graduate Student Crisis Line is a free, confidential hotline to assist graduate students who are feeling overwhelmed by stress or other concerns. Call 1-800-472-3457 to reach a trained counselor 24 hours a day.
- The Crisis Text Line provides free, anonymous crisis intervention via text, 24/7. https://www.crisistextline.org/