Study Abroad: Travel Tips

Also See QUICK LINKS for additional travel information

Travel Tips for US SUNY Upstate Students Studying Abroad

  • Vacation: Departure from and Re-entry to the U.S. Letters
  • I-20 signature authorization for travel/re-entry to the U.S.
  • Letters of invitation for visitors of students

(Attend to 3 months prior to departure)

Apply for a Valid Passport

You may apply at a local Post Office, the County Clerk's Office or directly thru the US Dept. of State:

Apply for a Visa

to the country where you will be studying if necessary. Review the visa requirements to foreign countries at:

Research and Schedule Immunizations

Student Health at SUNY Upstate does not provide immunization services. However, here is a list of several physicians in the area who can determine and administer the immunizations you will need for your trip abroad:

  • Mitchell Brodey, MD
    Community Hospital Physician's Building (Connected to Upstate University Hospital Community campus)
    Room 4K, 4900 Broad Rd Syracuse, NY 13215
    Ask to speak with Barbara Simon.
    Phone: 315 492-5784
  • Gerald McMahon, MD
    Community Hosptial Physician's Building, (Connected to Upstate University Hospital Community campus) Room 2S, 4900 Broad Rd Syracuse, NY 13215
    Phone: 315 492-5759
  • Corliss Varnum, MD
    Regional Medical Services
    5424 W. Genesee St., Camillus, NY 13031
    Phone: 315 487-8583

Please remember to contact the physician in advance to provide information about the location of your travel and to make an appointment. The doctor's require cash payment as the immunizations fees are not covered by health insurance.

Other Useful Links