A request for release of information pertaining to a student’s academic record is to be submitted in writing. To protect the confidentiality of your record, Federal law requires your signed consent to release information.
Not even a parent may receive information pertaining to your academic record without your signed release (Federal Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 -Buckley Amendment). That is why no phone, email, or third party requests can be accepted. A written request is to include your signature, name, any former names, Student ID# or SS # and the year that you last attended SUNY Upstate Medical University.
Also it should include instructions as to what is needed from our office and to where the information is to be sent. You may complete and submit our REQUEST FORM , a third party’s request form, or your own written or electronically created letter. Please remember that your signature is required on the written request before you send it by one of the methods listed below.
A request may be mailed to:
Office of the Registrar
SUNY Upstate Medical University
155 Elizabeth Blackwell Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
Brought in person to:
The Registrar’s Office:
Room 203 Campus Activities Building
If you want to make arrangements to pick-up item(s) that you will be requesting you may call 315-464-4604 to discuss the specifics of your request and be provided with an estimate of how soon you may expect to pick-up the items.
The normal process time for your request is 1-3 business days from the date that it is received. Please note that this processing may sometimes take longer.
Items that are commonly requested by students. Please note that some items require payment of a fee:
- Academic Transcripts
- Completion of a state medical board medical education verification form (Licensure)
- Certification Letter
- National Student Clearinghouse Online Enrollment Certification
- Deferment for student loans
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (Dean's Letter). This item is available only for graduates of the College of Medicine M.D. program.
- You may call our office, at 315-464-4604, with an inquiry about information from your student record that does not fit any of the items listed above.