SACON Meeting, September 16th, 2002 at 3:00 PM, CON Rm. 301
SACON meeting held in CON, Rm. 301 on Monday, Sept. 16th called to order at
3:00 pm by Tish McNally and Becky Dockstater, co-presidents. Attendend by:
Lonnie, Jemma, Dean Szigeti, Joy Tompkins (Sigma Theta Tau Representative),
and Meega Wells, SACON Advisor. The AGENDA was loosely followed with lively
discussion, exchange of ideas, and information. Refreshments were served and
provided by Becky and Tish.
- Copies of the proposed budget for 2002-2003 were circulated to give attendees
an idea of what was requested of the Graduate Student Council on behalf of
SACON. Chuck Simpson, Dean of Student Activities, informed me that our budget
request has been forwarded to the B committee and we should know in a few
weeks the outcome. As of this writing (10-20), I haven't heard anything new.
- Community service was discussed. This is a requirement of the Graduate Student
Council bylaws for every student organization (one event annually). Suggestions
were made that we could take part in fundraising events (walks, etc.) for
the heart association or cancer society. Dean Szigeti said she could supply
monies to buy a SACON banner to be used for such events and/or booths/tables
that we may set up for other events. Tish will contact the bookstore/kinkos
for prices and ordering. It was announced that an alzheimer's walk will take
place 9-28 for anyone interested.
- Last year's canned food drive donation to the downtown mission food
pantry was much appreciated by them and we will try to do that again with
even better response.
- There is a SUNY Upstate sponsored health fair at the Carousel Mall on
November 23rd, 10 am - 2:00 pm. Nursing students can show up and help
PRN per Erik of the Graduate Student Council.
- Last year's canned food drive donation to the downtown mission food pantry was much appreciated by them and we will try to do that again with even better response.
- Joy Tompkins joined us as a guest representative of Sigma Theta Tau, The
Nursing Honor Society. She asked if any SACON member would be interested in
taking part in the Nursing Research Committee. Becky volunteered. A meeting
will be held 10-9-02, 3:30-4:30 in the CON conference room.
- Becky will also take part in the curriculum committee meetings once each
month on a Friday. Anyone else interested in this should see Becky.
- A summit conference of various nursing disciplines at the Oncenter in Syracuse
is being planned for June, 2003. SACON will participate in some capacity (to
be determined). Becky spoke with the chairperson, Connie Jastremski of Rome
Memorial Hospital about the conference. Becky and Tish will pursue details
and present plan options at the October SACON meeting. Sigma Theta Tau will
also be involved. Barbara Black is a key person planning this event from the
- December graduates will be recognized by SACON. A dinner was suggested to
celebrate graduation for 12 students and was accepted as a definite plan by
the attending members. Dean Szigeti very generously volunteered that alumni
funds were available to help defray costs. Becky and Tish will look into places
and prices, etc to start planning for a December date. Will report findings
at October meeting.
- Fund raising will be needed this school year. A multi prize drawing of solicited
prizes will be held during spring semester. Tish will look into donated "good
Stuff" to make the drawing attractive to the general student body and
faculty. Possibly Syracuse Stage Tickets, restaurant gift certificates, gift
baskets, bookstore gift certificates.
- The next meeting will be on OCTOBER 28TH, MONDAY,
3:00 pm-4:00 pm, RM 301, CON. Flyers to be posted 1 week in advance
- The meeting was adjourned at 4:00 pm by mutual consent.