SACON Meeting, Wednesday, September 23, 2003 at 3:30 PM, CON Rm. 301
Meeting called to order at 1500 by Tish McNally.
Welcome Introduction of faculty adviser Margaret Wells and introduction of members in attendance. See attendence sheet. Total attendence: 21
- T-shirts ($15), sweatshirts ($35), and bags ($18) are still available. We will be ordering hooded sweatshirts and more of whatever you want. Kerry Ahern volunteered to make a computerized order form so we can begin to collect orders. Thanks Kerry! Goal was set to place order by the end of October which would make items available by the end of November. See SACON officers for orders.
- Gift Basket Drawing Fundraiser - We will be selling tickets for a
drawing of three gift baskets. The gift baskets are planned as follows: one
basket containing bath and body and beauty products, one basket containing
wine and cheese products, and a grand prize basket containing Syracuse Stage
tickets and gift certificate to a local restaurant. We need people to sell
tickets! Ticket costs: 1 ticket for $2; three tickets for $5. Estimated value
of baskets unknown at this time but will be disclosed at a later date. Becky
Dockstater volunteered to talk her sister into creating the ticket design.
The deadline set for ticket sales is December 1st, 2003. The drawing will
take place at the BSN/graduate reception on December 11,2003. You do not need
to be present to win. You will see more about this fundraiser in the next
couple of weeks.
- Treasurer's Report - Current funds = $2,272. The budget was submitted to the Graduate Student Council (GSC) asking for $225, which is the same allotment given to SACON last year. The allotment is based on attendence at meetings, attendence at events, number of meetings, number of events, and costs. SACON is one of 150 graduate student organization at Upstate. The more interest we show, the more money we can get. Congratulations were made by the floor to the SACON officers for making such amazing financial improvements on behalf of the organization as evidenced by increasing the funds from a few hundred dollars to the current amount in a few short years. Thank you for your hard work and dedication! BUT we still need a treasurer!
- BSN/Graduate Reception is scheduled for December 11, 2003 from 5pm-7pm on the 9th floor of Weiskotton Hall in the cafe. We requested and were approved for $175 from GSC for this event. December graduates are still encouraged to participate in the May graduation ceremonies, but this event provides a wonderful, immediate, congratulatory reward. Tish still plans to talk to the caterer to confirm the date and details.
- Donations / Community Service Projects -SACON plans to donate approximately $250 towards financing members participation in the NYSNA legislative workshop scheduled on March 11-12, 2004. SACON also plans to donate a coffee pump to the CON due to recent problems with the coffee machine not being turned off. SACON feels it is vitally important to prevent the CON from burning down. SACON is also planning to make donations to local shelters during the holidays. We would also like to participate in the health fair held by the GSC at the mall whenever this event is scheduled.
- Nursing Student Directory - sponsored by SACON will be out soon. Thanks to Nancy Lyons for all her hard work on this.
- GSC Update -If nursing representatives from SACON do not attend as many meetings as possible, GSC will freeze our financial accounts. GSC is looking for nursing input and have invited 2-3 nursing representatives to be part of the Judiciary Committee (which meets in the late afternoons on an infrequent basis as cases are called before the committee), and the Student Health Committee. We need volunteers who can regularly attend these meetings or sign up to rotate attendence at the meetings. We also need volunteers to attend the GSC meetings on alternating Wednesdays from 6-7pm in the Campus Activities Building 1st floor meeting room. Tish McNally added that GSC meetings not only include food but some of the medical students are quite cute. Dr.Bastable added that there have been problems with students not getting health clearances and not being able to enter the program. She suggests that nursing student involvement on the Student Health Committee may help open communication and allow for student input.
Comments from the Floor
- Ethnic Potluck Lunch will be held next Wednesday in CON 301 thanks to our new activities chair Mona. Check out the flyers. See you there.
- Be sure to click on the SACON website once a week to keep up to date.
- Dr. Bastable proposed that SACON consider donating to the voluntary pantry of Independent Healthcare - a part of the VNA system. SACON will look into more details and discuss at next meeting.
- NYS Student Nurses Association is having a Student Leadership Day on Friday, October 3, 2003. Admission is free. Must register by today. See officers if you would like more information.
- Kerry Ahern was nominated for the position of treasurer and unanimously voted in. Congratulations and thank you for expressing interest.
Applause for Tish and Becky!
Next Meeting will be October 20, 2003 from 11:30 am-12:30 pm in CON 301. This meeting will be a Faculty/ Student Forum. It was unanimously voted to order PIZZA for this meeting so please RSVP on the website if you plan to attend.
Motion was made to adjourn by Tish McNally at 1610 and seconded by Claire Departout
These minutes respectfully submitted by: Megan Stevens