Joyce Scarpinato, DNP, PPCNP-BC, FNP-C
Assistant Dean of Graduate Studies
Director, Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
How to ApplyDNP
Doctor of Nursing Practice, Fall:
September 1 - June 1
Doctor of Nursing Practice applicants must submit both NursingCAS Application and Upstate's Secondary Application:
- Apply Online Through NursingCAS - Completion of the Centralized Application Service for Nursing Programs (NursingCAS). The CAS process will talk you through how to go about collecting the following:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Official Transcripts from all colleges attended
- Three letters of recommendation, at least one of which must be reflective of clinical practice
- RN License: Copy of your current RN license from the state in which clinical hours will be completed
- APRN must have current National Board Certification in their designated specialty: Family NP (FNP), Family Psychiatric Mental Health NP (FPMHNP), Pediatrics NP (PNP) or Clinical Nurse Specialists (CNS).
- Upstate's Secondary Application - Once Upstate receives your application from NursingCAS, a link to our Secondary Application will be e-mailed to you. The Secondary Application must be submitted online to Upstate Medical University along with a $65 application fee within 6 weeks after the NursingCAS deadline.
- Writing Sample – Essay guidelines are included in the Supplemental Application. You will describe your population of interest and a potential health care issue that you plan to focus on as your identified topic in the Doctor of Nursing Practice program. Include relevancy of the issue and the role of the DNP graduate in leading practice change (500 to 1,000 words).
- Selected applicants will have an on-campus interview.
You will be notified of a decision soon after the Admissions Committee reviews your completed application.
Once accepted, you must send a $150 deposit to reserve your place in the entering class. This deposit will be deducted from your first semester tuition.
Current Students who want to apply to another Upstate Nursing Program
Current Nursing Students are not required to submit an application through Nursing CAS. Current students who want to apply to the DNP program should follow these instructions:
- Login to My Upstate
- Click on the Home tab
- Click on Apply for Another Upstate Program
- Click on Complete or Update Application
- Complete and Submit Application to the Program of your Choice
Current Upstate students are not required to submit transcripts unless any courses have been completed at another college since the time of your original application. For more information on how to apply, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.