Board Meeting Minutes -– June 6, 2012
Place: Ryder Park, Dewitt – 5:00 pm
Attendance: Mike Allain, Carol Braund, Nicole Harf, Nancy Lyon, Bonnie Miner, Roberta Rolland, Donna Parks, Peg Ryan
1. Welcome and Review of Minutes
Welcome - Thank you to current and outgoing members. Minutes from 2/23/2012 were accepted as written By Donna Parks.
- Secretary: Elizabeth Urban
- Faculty Counselor: Joyce Scarpinato
- Governance: Roberta Rolland
- Leadership Succession: Kathleen Steinmann, Melissa Clemens, and Jyoti Patil (one year).
There is an opening for a Governance position (one year). Please contact Donna Parks if you may be interested (email@example.com). New Officers and Board Members were sworn in by Roberta RollandBoard member training and resources: Headquarters offers leadership training sessions targeted towards various roles. The website has a new Tools and Resources Page: www.nursingsociety.org > Chapter Information >Tools and Resources
Nancy Lyon received a STTI Key pin for her years of service with Omicron Alpha and her enduring support to nursing.
Roberta Rolland received a past-president’s pin for her term as the 8th president of Omicron Alpha 2010-2012.
2. Officer Reports
- President’s Report –
- Vice President’s Report – Fall Program: Karen Dygert – reported on upcoming events in collaboration with the Omicron chapter and LeMoyne’s nursing honor society. The events are cultural diversity focused in a two part series planned for October 2012 and February 2013. Please watch for more information/save the date.
- Treasurer’s Report – Discussed increasing budget for Biennial Convention/ Leadership Training. Dean Szigeti motioned to increase Biennial Convention/ Leadership Training budget to $4,000, Donna seconded - approved.
- Annual Budget was approved.
- Pramila Adhikari joined the Finance Committee
- Annual Budget was approved.
- Secretary’s Report – Thank you cards were sent for donations received.
3. Committee Reports
- Governance Report – Bylaws up to date with 2011-2013 biennium changes. Need to post on CON website.
- Leadership Succession Report – Search for prospective candidates throughout the year – 2013 positions: president –elect, VP, treasurer, faculty counselor, leadership succession, and governance, as well as, research chair.
- Faculty Counselor’s Report - INDUCTION: Possible date Friday November 2, 2012 – Weiskotten Auditorium reserved for November 2nd cannot be confirmed until after fall program calendar completed
Honor Cords for students: discussion of potential of ‘earning’ cord by pledging (this was idea from Biennial Conference done with other chapters) e.g.: pledge to enter basic information and interests with The Circle and VIP Profile; attend 2 events/year; etc (see Donna’s Biennial report on the CON website for additional ideas).
- Research Advisory Group -
- Chair 2011-2013 Michael Allain:
- Future research – Missed Care Study
- Mentor and Resource List in progress
- Roberta Rolland was presented with a $1,000 Omicron Alpha research grant for her dissertation titled: The personal transition of emergency room nurses when the focus of patient care changes from curative to end of life.
- Delegate Report – Donna Parks reported on the Bienium. Please see the report on the CON Omicron Alpha website. Please view the incoming president’s call to action, Suzanne Prevost, PhD, RN, COI, Give Back to Move Forward - 2011–2013 Presidential Call to Action.
4. Region 11
Chapter Health – The Circle. Members may access the circle: http://www.nursingsociety.org/Pages/TheCircle.aspx - aim to have computers set up at all events to assist members with setting up access to The Circle.
Region 11 Conference - Roberta and Donna attended. President’s meeting focused on Chapter Key Awards. Omicron alpha received two in the past. A task force (three to four members) would be needed to pursue. Roberta would like to work towards a chapter key. Anyone interested in working on a chapter key award, please contact Roberta at firstname.lastname@example.org or (315) 246-0070.
Old & New Business
Syracuse Chapters Collaborative Committee – Roberta met with Gina Myers (LeMoyne) to designed a model to help organize the collaborative movement for developing a proposal for At-Large and working on collaborative events. There will be two independent groups – one working on the proposal and the other working on collaborative events. Both groups would report to the chapter presidents (Kara Keyes – LeMoyne, Renee Olszewski – Omicron). Barb Fero and Pat Knox represent OA with developing the proposal. Karen Dygert will represent OA with event planning. Concerns were voiced about becoming at-large with Omicron. The proposal would outline a structure of Omicron Alpha, Omicron, and LeMoyne as an At-Large chapter. This would need to be approved by the boards and membership to move forward for submission to Headquarters.
Annual Picnic – Ryder Park - Possible dates: Wed June 6th or Thurs June 7th – board in favor of continuing this tradition; Bonnie to check into June 6th to reserve park.
Walk to End Alzheimer’s - Saturday September 29, 2012 – Long Branch Park – Thank you to Patricia Stewart and Nancy Lyon for leading past efforts with OA. Thank you to all who participated and supported the efforts to end Alzheimer’s Disease.
Amaus Sock Drive - Do we want to continue? Other ideas Need someone to take charge of Sock Drive – Anyone interested – please contact Roberta at email@example.com.
Quality Coach Lines – 2012 NYC Saturday December 8th – 56 passenger bus - mild price increase with this year’s contract – Price increase for passengers – $55-STTI members, $60 – non-members. All agreed to move forward with event - watch for details.
Induction: Possible date Friday, November 2, 2012 – consider same venue - Weiskotten Auditorium - Please contact Roberta if you have thoughts on a speaker. Honor Cords for students: discussion of potential of ‘earning’ cord by pledging (this was idea from Biennial Conference done with other chapters) e.g.: pledge to enter basic information and interests with The Circle and VIP Profile; attend 2 events/year; etc (see Donna’s Biennial report on the CON website for additional ideas).
Orientation – New member and Update seasoned members: Discussion of considering breakfast/brunch gathering for new inductees either 1-2 weeks before or right after induction to introduce new members to the chapter, but also STTI (watch ‘welcome’ video together, give thumbnail of history of the chapter, what we’re involved in; Amaus; committees, call to action/what can participate in, etc; offer opportunity to sign up for ‘The Circle’, networking activity, etc.). Nicole voiced that she wondered what her role was as a new member. We agreed that we need to do more to help new members engage in the opportunities STTI has to offer.
Membership - NEED TO FORM A TASK FORCE
- Call or send letter to inactive member
- Update emails and addresses (active and inactive)
- Strategies outlined on STTI website
Understanding the caliber of STTI is difficult from a local view. I invite everyone to explore the STTI website and all it has to offer (nursingsociety.org). There are opportunities for education/webinars, job search, and networking. You can access the Virginia Henderson Library and STTI Connect. Please use the resources and networking to advance your endeavors.
Please support the efforts of STTI. Please renew your membership – even if it has lapsed you can bring it current at any time. Please contact STTI headquarters if you need your membership number or have questions. (888) 634-7575
Board Member Training and Resources –Headquarters offers leadership training sessions targeted towards various roles. The website has a new Tools and Resources Page: www.nursingsociety.org > Chapter Information >Tools and Resources
Transition Meeting scheduled 6/13/2012 Gollisano Childrens Hospital
Omicron Alpha Board of Directors / Supporting Positions 2012-2013
President: Donna Parks
Vice president: Karen Dygert
Treasurer: Bonnie Miner
Secretary: Elizabeth Urban
Faculty Counselors: Dr. Melanie Kalman, Joyce Scarpinato
Governance: Bridget McCarthy, Roberta Rolland
Leadership Succession: Kathleen Steinmann, Melissa Clemens, and Jyoti Patil
Chapter Assistant: Nancy Lyon
Research Advisory Group Chair: Michael Allain
Electronic Delegates: Donna Parks, Dr. Priscilla Worral
Finance Committee: Bonnie Miner, Barb Fero, Pramila Adhikari