AMCAS: Applications must be submitted to AMCAS by October 15.
Upstate: Applications to the College of Medicine must be complete by December 1.
St. Lawrence University Early Assurance Rural Medical Program
Website: St. Lawrence University Admissions Office & Pre-Med Academic Advising
This program addresses the shortage of physicians in rural communities of New York State. There is evidence that people who grow up in rural communities or who trained there will later return to set up medical practice in a rural setting. This program will also attempt to provide a more diverse student population for entry into physician training programs.
This program seeks high school students with excellent academic records. Preference will be given to those applicants which best fulfill the following criteria:
- Comes from a rural community in New York state
- Has an excellent high school GPA (minimum 90% average)
- Has extra-curricular activities which document some experience in a healthcare setting and a commitment to service work
- Has NEW SAT score of 1310 or better or OLD SAT score of 1250 or better (combined Critical Reading & Math) or ACT score of 28 Composite or better
- Can be considered to be disadvantaged or from a background which makes it unlikely they would compete for admission to medical school through a traditional route
Acceptance into these programs indicates your willingness to participate in the Rural Medical Scholars Program (RMSP). You will therefore be assigned to the RMSP track as a medical student at SUNY Upstate Medical University.