AMCAS: Applications must be submitted to AMCAS by October 15.
Upstate: Applications to the College of Medicine must be complete by December 1.
How to Apply
1 Applying to Medical School
Upstate Medical University, like nearly all accredited medical schools in the United States, participates in the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS).
You must complete the AMCAS application online at www.amcas.org and submit it to AMCAS along with your official college transcripts and MCAT scores. AMCAS will forward your application to Upstate.
Deadline for submitting the AMCAS application is October 15th.
2 Submit a SUNY Upstate Medical University Secondary Application
Once your application is received from AMCAS, a link to the Secondary application will be sent you. The supplemental Application must be submitted to Upstate Medical University along with a $110.00 application fee by December 1.
3 Submit Letters of Recommendation
SUNY Upstate Medical University participates in the AMCAS Letter of Recommendation Service. Appropriate letters of recommendation must be submitted to AMCAS by December 1. All letters must be submitted directly to AMCAS.
4 Incomplete Applications
Missing information emails will be sent every two weeks to let students know what is needed to complete their application.
5 Complete Applications
Once an application is complete students will receive an email letting them know that their application is complete and will be reviewed by the College of Medicine Admissions Committee. When the review is complete, applicants will be notified by email as to the status of their application.
6 Invitation to Interview
Every week an email will be sent to anyone who is being invited for an interview. The email will instruct you to go to a calendar and select an available interview date.
7 Interview Day
The interview day will begin at 9:00 and the MMI process will be used.
8 Admissions Committee
Following the interview, applications are sent on to the College of Medicine Admissions Committee. The committee is made up of faculty, students, alumni, local physicians and SUNY Upstate administrators. The Admissions Committee is looking for well rounded students with strong academic records and MCAT scores, good clinical experiences, personal statements and extracurricular activities.
Students will be notified of the Committee's Decision within foursix weeks of their interview date. One of the following decisions will be made for each interviewed applicant:
- A. Accept:
- Students will receive an email and/or a phone call that they have been accepted. Official acceptance letters and other relevant information will be mailed out. Once students have paid their deposit, they will receive an email with information on how to log onto MyUpstate.
- B. High Priority Alternate:
- Students placed on the high priority alternate list may be called at anytime, up to and including the day of registration. The admissions office does not release information regarding individual placement on the alternate list. This is an active alternate list and one we pull students off of every year, but where we get on this list will vary from year to year.
- C. Hold Alternate:
- The Hold Alternate list is our 2nd Alternate list and is not an active alternate list. We have not pulled students off of this list in several years.
- D. Reject:
- Students who are not accepted by the admissions committee will receive an email.
10 You have been admitted
Once you have been admitted and paid a deposit, you will have access to your financial aid award, health clearance forms, orientation materials, registration and housing information through MyUpstate.
You will also be invited to attend the 2nd Visit Day offered at Upstate Medical University. On this day you will have mini-presentations about the curriculum, student affairs, campus activities, and even get a chance to see what it is like in our clinical skills and anatomy labs. There will also be a student panel to answer any questions that you may have. It will provide you with an opportunity to decide if SUNY Upstate Medical University is the right medical school for you!