MPH applicants can only apply for Fall semester entrance into the program.
Admission to the CNYMPH program requires...
- Minimum GPAs at or above a 3.0 (4.0 scale)
- Minimum GRE test scores at the median (mid 500s on both levels and 4.5 on the analytic) or equivalent
- Applicant must have completed a college level statistics course within the past five years with a grade of B or above
- Minimum TOEFL of 600 written exam/250 CBT/100 IBT (revised 1/07) are preferred. Applicants with TOEFL scores between 580/237/92-93 and 600/250/100 may be considered for admission, however they will be required to complete an English Language Assessment Exam upon matriculation and may be possibly recommended into English Language courses to be taken concurrently with their studies
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution
- Official transcripts from all previous postsecondary courses
- Appropriate completion of the admission application
- Two essays:
- A personal statement of career goals and health-related experience as it applies to public health.
- One public health essay; described in the application.
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who know you in an academic or professional capacity. This does not include personal friends and family
- Highly Recommended:
- College level biology course.
- College level math course.
- International students: Applicants who have completed all or part of their education abroad are required to have a course-by-course educational credential evaluation completed by an approved agency accredited by the World Education Services (www.wes.org)
- A non-refundable application fee of $45.00
GRE Scores/Waiver Equivalents
Applicants must have minimum GRE test scores at the median (mid 500's on both levels and 4.5 on the analytic). The graduate entrance examination must have been taken within five (5) years of the application submission date.
Under certain circumstances, a waiver of the GRE requirement will be considered if the applicant has:
- Medical College test (MCAT), score of 26 or above is preferred
- Dental Admission Test (DAT), score of 17 or above is preferred
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), score of 550 or above is preferred
- Law School Admission Test (LSAT), score of 150 or above is preferred
- Optometry Admission Test (OAT), score of 70 or above is preferred
- United States Medical Licensure Exam (USMLE) step 2 or 3
- If a student has earned a master degree and has relevant experience in the public health/health care field.
- If a student has earned a doctoral degree from a Council for Higher Education (CHEA) regionally accredited college or university (must submit full transcript of studies.)
GRE waiver is at the discretion of the CNYMPH Admissions Committee after review of the applicants full application and substitute exam scores or transcripts. Applicants must be able supply an official copy of the substitute exam (if applicable.) Proof of current licensure must be submitted for all Allied health professionals.
Applicants who wish to pursue a waiver must submit a letter addressed to the CNYMPH Admissions Committee outlining their request:CNYMPH Admissions Committee
Office of Student Admissions
1215 Weiskotten Hall
SUNY Upstate Medical University
766 Irving Avenue
Syracuse, NY, 13210