Spotlight on the New Upstate Cancer Center
In addition to state-of-the art technology and advanced treatments, the Upstate Cancer Center is also committed to serving the larger community through education and outreach. The Cancer Center serves as a resource, providing opportunities for partnerships, cancer awareness events, cancer prevention strategies, and cancer educational offerings and screenings.
Cancer Awareness Events
Each year Upstate hosts cancer awareness events, inviting the community to learn more about early detection, prevention, and treatments. Events include:
- National Cancer Survivor's Day For fourteen years Upstate Oncology services has sponsored National Cancer Survivor's Day for the Syracuse community and the surrounding region. This day is commemorated nationwide on the first Sunday in June as a Celebration of Life for cancer survivors and their families. This celebration is an opportunity for Upstate to give back to the community with a unique and festive atmosphere that is not the norm for those undergoing cancer treatment.
- Upstate Cancer Symposium: Held each September, this half-day educational session highlights current cancer care with presentations by experts explaining new directions and treatments for various cancers.
- In the Cross Hairs: November is lung cancer awareness month and our annual half-day public educational program, “In the Cross Hairs”, describes the latest in prevention and care of lung cancer.
- Lung Cancer Vigil: Held outside the Upstate Cancer Center each November, this candle light vigil brings hope to lung cancer survivors and raises political awareness for increased research funding to cure this disease, the most common cause of cancer death in both women and men.
- Health-Links and Oasis Programs: The Upstate Cancer Center staff regularly presents at our off-site community learning center in East Syracuse on various cancer topics as well as on tobacco cessation strategies.
Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Foundation
Upstate Medical University partners with the local Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Foundation, which focuses on raising money for breast cancer research. In alliance with the Baldwin family, Upstate contributes to:
- A Run for Their Life: Fall walk/run
- Paddle for the Cure: Summer canoe race
- Annual Golf Tournament
- Gillie Girls Triathlon
American Cancer Society
Both Upstate and the ACS want a World with More Birthdays.™ We partner with the ACS on the following programs:
- Patient Navigation: Cancer patients have the opportunity to connect with an ACS patient navigator who is on-site in our multi-disciplinary cancer clinics, radiation oncology clinic and inpatient units to assist patients and their families through the cancer journey.
- Patient and Family Support Groups: Upstate and the ACS provide support groups to our patients and families for all cancers.
- Health High-Rises: Upstate’s Geneva Towers; a brand new, state-of-the-art housing facility (LEED silver design) for students, residents and their families; has received the American Cancer Society “Health High-Rise” designation which means that the facility is 100% smoke-free. We hope this provides an example for other multi-unit housing operators in Central New York.
- CEO Gold: Upstate has CEO Cancer Gold status meaning that Upstate is recognized by the ACS for promoting healthy lifestyles and providing the support and programs needed when a diagnosis of cancer becomes a reality, providing programs for prevention and early detection of cancer, and providing access to high-quality treatments, including cancer clinical trials.
- CPS-3: Upstate was a major participator in the ACS Cancer Prevention 3 Study, an epidemiology study for people with no personal history of cancer to help find ways to understand and prevent cancer. We enrolled 327 participants in one day, on-site at Upstate.
- Suits and Sneakers: An event held during Basketball season to bring awareness about cancer. Upstate employees can each donate $5.00 to the Coaches vs. Cancer program of the ACS on a designated day during basketball season, so they can wear sneakers to work to visually fight cancer and bring hope.
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer: Upstate is a major sponsor of “Making Strides Against Breast Cancer” a community walk that is held each year to honor breast cancer survivors and to raise awareness about breast cancer. The money raised helps the American Cancer Society fight the disease with research, information and services, and access to mammograms and Upstate is proud to be a major community contributor.
- The Great American Smokeout: Each November during lung cancer awareness month, Upstate supports a designated day chosen by the ACS, encouraging smokers to use this date to quit, with the goal to reduce cancer deaths and disease from tobacco.
- Colleges Against Cancer: Upstate has an active chapter of students in the Colleges Against Cancer who host the annual Relay for Life each year along with Syracuse University students to raise money and awareness for cancer.
Onondaga County Cancer Program
Cancer Screenings: Upstate is a provider of free cancer screenings for cervical, breast, and colon cancer for uncertain eligible populations (the uninsured and underinsured) through the Onondaga County Cancer Services Program Partnership. Screening through ongoing outreach occurs all year long for breast, cervical, and colon cancer, and includes such initiatives as:
- Love Yourself (February) for Mammograms
- Main Streets Go Blue (March) for colon cancer screenings
- Get Health Connected in the fall which is a community-wide health screening event
- The Lung Cancer Screening Program is the first program of the Upstate Cancer Center and the first in the area to offer people who are at high-risk for lung cancer, the chance for early detection.
Nationally, Upstate provides services equivalent to some of the major cancer centers in the country. As an American College of Surgeons accredited cancer program, our outstanding reputation and mission for patient care, education, and research is anchored by our community outreach activities. Our consistent presence and sponsorships at community health events demonstrates our commitment and strengthens our ties to our larger community.