News & Events
Awards & Recognition
- David Amberg has been named Interim Vice President for Research at Upstate Medical University as of July 1, 2014
- Congratulations to Patty Kane who won the Basic Science Faculty Teaching Award for the College of Graduate Studies and Stephan Wilkens who won the President's Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Congratulations to this year's Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Award Recipients from the College of Graduate Studies:
- Award for Professional and Public Service: Cherry Mae Ignacio, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology PhD Student
- Written Research Proposal Award: Co-recipients - Adam Blanden, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology PhD Student & Karen Howard, Anatomy & Cell Biology MD/PhD student
- Outstanding Teacher Award: Dr. Patricia Kane, Professor & Chair, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Cherry Mae Ignacio attended the Gordon Research Conference on Alcohol and the Nervous System in Galveston, TX on February 12-21, 2014. Her poster was one of five posters, out of 106, that won an Outstanding Poster award.
- Michael Cosgrove has been appointed Director of the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Program through the College of Graduate Studies.
- Yaxin Liu, a third-year PhD student in the Chen Lab, has been awarded a two-year American Heart Association predoctoral fellowship to support her research. Read more here.
- Mark Schmitt has been appointed Dean of the College of Graduate Studies effective June 17, 2013.
- David Amberg was promoted as of May 11, 2013 to Associate Vice President of Research Integrity. He retains the title of Research Integrity Officer and has gained an additional title of Research Conflict of Interest Officer.
- Stephan Wilkens was selected by the College of Graduate Studies Graduate Student Association to receive the Outstanding Teacher Award for 2013.
- Huimei (Janet) Zheng's manuscript entitled "Protein Fragment Exchange (FREX): A Novel Approach for Converting a Ligand-Binding Protein into a Biosensing Conformational Switch" has been chosen to be the College of Graduate Studies winner of the 2013 John Bernard Henry, MD, Endowed Scholarship Award.
- Makandiwana Shoniwa, Patty Kane's Graduate Student, was the Honorable Mention for her poem "Homecoming" in the 2013 Bruce Dearing Writing Competition.
- Tie F, Banerjee R, Saiakhova AR, Howard B, Montieth KE, Scacheri PC, Cosgrove MS, Harte PJ. Trithorax monomethylates histone H3K4 and interacts directly with CBP to promote H3K27 acetylation and antagonize Polycomb silencing. Development 2014; 141: 1129-1139 (Featured as an exceptional article by the Faculty of 100 website)
- Shinskky SA, Hu M, Vough VE, Ng SB, Bamshad MJ, Shendure J and Cosgrove MS. (2014) A non-active site SET domain surface crucial for the interaction of MLL1 and the RbBP5-Ash2L heterodimer within MLL family core complexes. Journal of Molecular Biology 426, 2283-2299.
- Aggeli D, Kish-Trier E, Lin MC, Haarer B, Cingolani G, Cooper JA, Wilkens S and Amberg D. Coordination of the Filament Stabilizing Versus Destabilizing Activities of Cofilin Through its Secondary Binding Site on Actin. Cytoskeleton, Month 2014. 00.00-00 (doi: 10.1002/cm.21178)
- DiPrima S, Haarer B, Viggiano S, Pons C, Myers CL and Amberg DC. Linking Genetics to Structural Biology: Complex Heterozygosity Screening with Actin Alanine Scan Alleles Identifies Functionally Related Surfaces on Yeast Actin. G3 Genes/Genomes/Genetics June 17, 2014 g3.114.012054
- Patty Kane and Anne Smardon had a book chapter published in "Handbook of H+-ATPases" edited by Dr. Suguru Nakamura (Chapter 1 - Vacuolar H+-ATPase Assembly). Their figure was chosen for the cover of the book.
- Hanes SD (2014). The Ess1 prolyl isomerase: Traffic cop of the RNA polymerase II transcription cycle. Invited review. BBA Gene Regulatory Mechanisms. Feb 12 (Epub)
- Shah NB and Duncan TM. (2014). "Bio-Layer Interferometry for Measuring Kinetics of Protein-Protein Interactions and Allosteric Ligand Effects." J. Vis Exp 84: e51383
- Michael Borsch and Thomas M. Duncan. Spotlighting motors and controls of single F0F1-ATP synthase. Biochemical Society Transactions (2013) 41: 1219-1226
- Atencio D, Barnes C, Duncan TM, Willis IM and Hanes SD. (2014) The yeast Ess1 prolyl isomerase controls Swi6 and Whi5 nuclear localization. Genes, Genomes, Genetics.
- Patel A, Vought VE, Swatkoski S, Viggiano S, Howard B, Dharmarajan V, Monteith KE, Kupuakuwana G, Namitz KE, Shinsky SA, Cotter RJ and Cosgrove MS. (2013) Automethylation activities within the Mixed Lineage Leukemia-1 (MLL1) core complex reveal evidence supporting a 'two-active site" model for multiple histone H3 lysine 4 methylation. Journal of Biological Chemistry (accepted).
- Tie F, Banerjee R, Salakhova AR, Howard B, Monteith KE, Scacheri PC, Cosgrove MS, and Harte PJ. (2013) Trithorax monomethylate histone H3K4 and interacts directly with CBP to promote H3K27 acetylation and antagonize Polycomb silencing. Development. (in Press).
- McCulley A, Haarer B, Viggiano S, Karchin J, Feng W. G3 (Bethesda). 2013 Nov 5. Chemical Suppression of Defects in Mitotic Spindle Assembly, Redox Control and Sterol Biosynthesis of Hydroxyurea. [Epub ahead of print]
- Smardon AM, Diab HI, Tarsio M, Diakokv TT, Nasab ND, West RW, Kane PM. The RAVE complex is an isoform-specific V-ATPase assembly factor in yeast. Mol Biol Chem 2013 Dec 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- N.B.Shah, ML Hutchein. BK Haarer, TM Duncan. (2013) F1-ATPase of Escherichia coli; The ε-Inhibited State Forms After ATP Hydrolysis, is Distinct from the ADP-Inhibited State, and Responds Dynamically to Catalytic-Site Ligands. J Biol Chem. 288, 9383-9385.
- Diab HI, Kane PM. Loss of Vacuolar Proton-Translocating ATPase (V-ATPase) activity in yeast generates an iron deprivation signal that is moderated by induction of the peroxiredoxin TSA2. J Biol Chem 2013 Mar 1 (Epub ahead of print)
- Samaranayake D, Atencio D, Morse R, Wade JT, Chaturvedi V, Hanes SD. (2013) Role of Ess1 in growth, morphogenetic switching, and RNA polymerase II transcription in Candida Albicans. PLoS ONE (E-pub March 14, 2013)
- Haarer B, Mi-Mi Li, Cho J, Cortese M, Viggiano S, Burke D and Amberg D. (2013) Actin Dosage Lethality Screening in Yeast Mediated by Selective Ploidy Ablation Reveals Links to Urmylation/Wobble Codon Recognition and Chromosome. Stability Genes/Genomes/Genetics, Vol 3, March 2013.
- Aulds JS, Wierzbicki S, McNairn A and Schmitt ME. Global identification of new substrates for the yeast endoribonuclease, RNase mitochondrial RNA processing (MRP). J. Biol Chem 287: 37089-37097
- Michael Cosgrove also gave an invited seminar entitled "Targeting a key protein-protein interaction for the development of inhibitors of the Mixed Lineage Leukemia core complex" at the 3rd Epigenetics in Drug Discovery Conference in Boston, MA on May 9, 2013
- Steve Hanes gave a talk entitled "Regulating CTD-interactions by Ess1-Dependent Prolyl Isomerization" at the American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Experimental Biology Conference, Boston, MA, April 23, 2013
- Michael Cosgrove gave an invited seminar entitled "How does the MLL1 core complex work?" in the department of Genetics and Genome Sciences at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland ,OH oon April 17, 2013
All newsletters are in Adobe Acrobat format.
- May-June 2014
- March-April 2014
- January-February 2014
- November-December 2013
- September-October 2013
- July-August 2013
- May-June 2013
- March-April 2013
- January-February 2013
- November-December 2012
- September-October 2012
- July-August 2012
- March-June 2012
- January-February 2012
- November-December 2011
- September-October 2011
- July-August 2011
- May-June 2011
- March-April 2011