News & Events
Awards & Recognition
- Michael Cosgrove has been appointed Director of the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Program through the College of Graduate Studies.
- Yaxin Liu, a third-year PhD student in the Chen Lab, has been awarded a two-year American Heart Association predoctoral fellowship to support her research. Read more here.
- Mark Schmitt has been appointed Dean of the College of Graduate Studies effective June 17, 2013.
- David Amberg was promoted as of May 11, 2013 to Associate Vice President of Research Integrity. He retains the title of Research Integrity Officer and has gained an additional title of Research Conflict of Interest Officer.
- Stephan Wilkens was selected by the College of Graduate Studies Graduate Student Association to receive the Outstanding Teacher Award for 2013.
- Huimei (Janet) Zheng's manuscript entitled "Protein Fragment Exchange (FREX): A Novel Approach for Converting a Ligand-Binding Protein into a Biosensing Conformational Switch" has been chosen to be the College of Graduate Studies winner of the 2013 John Bernard Henry, MD, Endowed Scholarship Award.
- Makandiwana Shoniwa, Patty Kane's Graduate Student, was the Honorable Mention for her poem "Homecoming" in the 2013 Bruce Dearing Writing Competition.
- David Amberg, PhD, has been named a recipient of a 2011-2012 Chancellor's Award for Excellence. Dr. Amberg will receive a Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities at the September 19, 2012 Fall Faculty Convocation.
- Stewart Loh, PhD, has been appointed as Vice Chair of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Michael Borsch and Thomas M. Duncan. Spotlighting motors and controls of single F0F1-ATP synthase. Biochemical Society Transactions (2013) 41: 1219-1226
- Atencio D, Barnes C, Duncan TM, Willis IM and Hanes SD. (2014) The yeast Ess1 prolyl isomerase controls Swi6 and Whi5 nuclear localization. Genes, Genomes, Genetics.
- Patel A, Vought VE, Swatkoski S, Viggiano S, Howard B, Dharmarajan V, Monteith KE, Kupuakuwana G, Namitz KE, Shinsky SA, Cotter RJ and Cosgrove MS. (2013) Automethylation activities within the Mixed Lineage Leukemia-1 (MLL1) core complex reveal evidence supporting a 'two-active site" model for multiple histone H3 lysine 4 methylation. Journal of Biological Chemistry (accepted).
- Tie F, Banerjee R, Salakhova AR, Howard B, Monteith KE, Scacheri PC, Cosgrove MS, and Harte PJ. (2013) Trithorax monomethylate histone H3K4 and interacts directly with CBP to promote H3K27 acetylation and antagonize Polycomb silencing. Development. (in Press).
- McCulley A, Haarer B, Viggiano S, Karchin J, Feng W. G3 (Bethesda). 2013 Nov 5. Chemical Suppression of Defects in Mitotic Spindle Assembly, Redox Control and Sterol Biosynthesis of Hydroxyurea. [Epub ahead of print]
- Smardon AM, Diab HI, Tarsio M, Diakokv TT, Nasab ND, West RW, Kane PM. The RAVE complex is an isoform-specific V-ATPase assembly factor in yeast. Mol Biol Chem 2013 Dec 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- N.B.Shah, ML Hutchein. BK Haarer, TM Duncan. (2013) F1-ATPase of Escherichia coli; The ε-Inhibited State Forms After ATP Hydrolysis, is Distinct from the ADP-Inhibited State, and Responds Dynamically to Catalytic-Site Ligands. J Biol Chem. 288, 9383-9385.
- Diab HI, Kane PM. Loss of Vacuolar Proton-Translocating ATPase (V-ATPase) activity in yeast generates an iron deprivation signal that is moderated by induction of the peroxiredoxin TSA2. J Biol Chem 2013 Mar 1 (Epub ahead of print)
- Samaranayake D, Atencio D, Morse R, Wade JT, Chaturvedi V, Hanes SD. (2013) Role of Ess1 in growth, morphogenetic switching, and RNA polymerase II transcription in Candida Albicans. PLoS ONE (E-pub March 14, 2013)
- Haarer B, Mi-Mi Li, Cho J, Cortese M, Viggiano S, Burke D and Amberg D. (2013) Actin Dosage Lethality Screening in Yeast Mediated by Selective Ploidy Ablation Reveals Links to Urmylation/Wobble Codon Recognition and Chromosome. Stability Genes/Genomes/Genetics, Vol 3, March 2013.
- Aulds JS, Wierzbicki S, McNairn A and Schmitt ME. Global identification of new substrates for the yeast endoribonuclease, RNase mitochondrial RNA processing (MRP). J. Biol Chem 287: 37089-37097
- Oot RA, Huang LS, Berry EA, Wilkens S. Crystal Structure of the Yeast Vacuolar ATPase Heterotrimeric EGC(head) Perpheral Stalk Complex. Structure 2012 Nov 7; 20 (11): 1881-92
- Fichorova RN, Lee Y, Yamamoto HS, Takagi Y, Hayes GR, Goodman EP, Chepa-Lotrea X, Buck OR, Murray R, Kula T, Beach DH, Singh BN, Nibert Max L. Endobiont viruses sensed by the human host-beyond conventional antiparasitic therapy. PLos ONE 7 (11): e48418
- Hill-Burns EM, Singh N, Ganguly P, Hamza TH, Montimurro J, Kay DM, Yearout D, Sheehan P, Frodey K, Mclear JA, Feany MB, Hanes SD, et al. 2012) A genetic basis for the variable effect of smoking/nicotine on Parkinson's disease. Pharmacogenomics J. Oct 2
- Ma Z, Atencio D, Barnes C, DeFiglio H and Hanes SD. (2012) Multiple Roles for the Ess1 Prolyl Isomerase in the RNA Polymerase II Transcription Cycle. Mol. Cell Biol. 32: 3594-3607
- Cosgrove MS. (2012) Writers and Readers: Deconvoluting the harmonic complexity of the histone code. Nature Structural and Molecular Biology 19: 739-740 (Invited Commentary)
- Dharmarajan V, Lee JH, Patel A, Skalnik DG and Cosgrove MS. (2012) Structural basis for WDR5 interaction (Win) motif recognition in human SET1 family histone methyltransferases. Journal of Biological Chemistry 287 (33): 27275-27289
- Cosgrove M, Ding Y, Rennie WA, Lane MJ and Hanes SD. (2012) The Bin3 RNA methyltransferase (MePCE) targets 7SK RNA to control transcription and translation. WIRES-RNA Review (Wiley) July 12
- Lin M, Li SC, Kane PM, Hofken T. (2012) Regulation of vacuolar H+-ATPase activity by the Cdc42 effector Ste20 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell, Feb 10. Epub ahead of print.
- Bataille AR, Jeronimo C, Jacquess PE, Laramee L, Fortin ME, Forest A, Bergeron M, Hanes SD and Robert F. (2012) Universal RNA Polymerase II CTD Cycle is Orchestrated by Complex Interplay Between Kinase, Phosphatase and Isomerase Enzymes Along Genes. Mol. Cell 45: 158-170.
- Michael Cosgrove also gave an invited seminar entitled "Targeting a key protein-protein interaction for the development of inhibitors of the Mixed Lineage Leukemia core complex" at the 3rd Epigenetics in Drug Discovery Conference in Boston, MA on May 9, 2013
- Steve Hanes gave a talk entitled "Regulating CTD-interactions by Ess1-Dependent Prolyl Isomerization" at the American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Experimental Biology Conference, Boston, MA, April 23, 2013
- Michael Cosgrove gave an invited seminar entitled "How does the MLL1 core complex work?" in the department of Genetics and Genome Sciences at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland ,OH oon April 17, 2013
- Steve Hanes gave a talk at the Science and Math Colloquium, Houghton College, Houghton NY. "Use of Model Organisms in Biomedical Research" on March 5, 2013.
- Campbell AT, Amberg DC. Poster -- Developing a campus-wide RCR educational program: Process & lessons learned. PRIM&R's 2012 Advancing Ethical Research Conference Guided by Principles in an Era of Change. San Diego, CA, December 2012
- Michael Cosgrove gave a talk at the GTC (Global Technology Community) 2nd Cancer Epigenetics conference on Novmber 9, 2012, entitled "Discovery and Characterization of a novel class of Mixed Lineage Leukemia core complex inhibitors"
All newsletters are in Adobe Acrobat format.
- January-February 2014
- November-December 2013
- September-October 2013
- July-August 2013
- May-June 2013
- March-April 2013
- January-February 2013
- November-December 2012
- September-October 2012
- July-August 2012
- March-June 2012
- January-February 2012
- November-December 2011
- September-October 2011
- July-August 2011
- May-June 2011
- March-April 2011