News & Events
Awards & Recognition
- Stephan Wilkens was selected by the College of Graduate Studies Graduate Student Association to receive the Outstanding Teacher Award for 2013.
- Huimei (Janet) Zheng's manuscript entitled "Protein Fragment Exchange (FREX): A Novel Approach for Converting a Ligand-Binding Protein into a Biosensing Conformational Switch" has been chosen to be the College of Graduate Studies winner of the 2013 John Bernard Henry, MD, Endowed Scholarship Award.
- Makandiwana Shoniwa, Patty Kane's Graduate Student, was the Honorable Mention for her poem "Homecoming" in the 2013 Bruce Dearing Writing Competition.
- David Amberg, PhD, has been named a recipient of a 2011-2012 Chancellor's Award for Excellence. Dr. Amberg will receive a Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities at the September 19, 2012 Fall Faculty Convocation.
- Stewart Loh, PhD, has been appointed as Vice Chair of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- David Amberg, PhD, is the recipient of the 2011 President's Award for Excellence and Leadership in Research
- Andras Perl, MD, PhD, is the recipient of the 2011 Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities
- Diab HI, Kane PM. Loss of Vacuolar Proton-Translocating ATPase (V-ATPase) activity in yeast generates an iron deprivation signal that is moderated by induction of the peroxiredoxin TSA2. J Biol Chem 2013 Mar 1 (Epub ahead of print)
- Samaranayake D, Atencio D, Morse R, Wade JT, Chaturvedi V, Hanes SD. (2013) Role of Ess1 in growth, morphogenetic switching, and RNA polymerase II transcription in Candida Albicans. PLoS ONE (E-pub March 14, 2013)
- Haarer B, Mi-Mi Li, Cho J, Cortese M, Viggiano S, Burke D and Amberg D. (2013) Actin Dosage Lethality Screening in Yeast Mediated by Selective Ploidy Ablation Reveals Links to Urmylation/Wobble Codon Recognition and Chromosome. Stability Genes/Genomes/Genetics, Vol 3, March 2013.
- Aulds JS, Wierzbicki S, McNairn A and Schmitt ME. Global identification of new substrates for the yeast endoribonuclease, RNase mitochondrial RNA processing (MRP). J. Biol Chem 287: 37089-37097
- Oot RA, Huang LS, Berry EA, Wilkens S. Crystal Structure of the Yeast Vacuolar ATPase Heterotrimeric EGC(head) Perpheral Stalk Complex. Structure 2012 Nov 7; 20 (11): 1881-92
- Fichorova RN, Lee Y, Yamamoto HS, Takagi Y, Hayes GR, Goodman EP, Chepa-Lotrea X, Buck OR, Murray R, Kula T, Beach DH, Singh BN, Nibert Max L. Endobiont viruses sensed by the human host-beyond conventional antiparasitic therapy. PLos ONE 7 (11): e48418
- Hill-Burns EM, Singh N, Ganguly P, Hamza TH, Montimurro J, Kay DM, Yearout D, Sheehan P, Frodey K, Mclear JA, Feany MB, Hanes SD, et al. 2012) A genetic basis for the variable effect of smoking/nicotine on Parkinson's disease. Pharmacogenomics J. Oct 2
- Ma Z, Atencio D, Barnes C, DeFiglio H and Hanes SD. (2012) Multiple Roles for the Ess1 Prolyl Isomerase in the RNA Polymerase II Transcription Cycle. Mol. Cell Biol. 32: 3594-3607
- Cosgrove MS. (2012) Writers and Readers: Deconvoluting the harmonic complexity of the histone code. Nature Structural and Molecular Biology 19: 739-740 (Invited Commentary)
- Dharmarajan V, Lee JH, Patel A, Skalnik DG and Cosgrove MS. (2012) Structural basis for WDR5 interaction (Win) motif recognition in human SET1 family histone methyltransferases. Journal of Biological Chemistry 287 (33): 27275-27289
- Cosgrove M, Ding Y, Rennie WA, Lane MJ and Hanes SD. (2012) The Bin3 RNA methyltransferase (MePCE) targets 7SK RNA to control transcription and translation. WIRES-RNA Review (Wiley) July 12
- Lin M, Li SC, Kane PM, Hofken T. (2012) Regulation of vacuolar H+-ATPase activity by the Cdc42 effector Ste20 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell, Feb 10. Epub ahead of print.
- Bataille AR, Jeronimo C, Jacquess PE, Laramee L, Fortin ME, Forest A, Bergeron M, Hanes SD and Robert F. (2012) Universal RNA Polymerase II CTD Cycle is Orchestrated by Complex Interplay Between Kinase, Phosphatase and Isomerase Enzymes Along Genes. Mol. Cell 45: 158-170.
- Li SC, Diakov TT, Rizzo JM, Kane PM. The V-ATPase works in parallel with the HOG pathway to adapt yeast cells to osomotic stress. Eukaroytic Cell, 2011, in press.
- YM Milgrom. Characteristics of Protection by MgADP and MgATP of α3β3γ Subcomplex of Thermophilic Bacillus PS3 βY341 W-mutant F1-ATPase from Inhibition by 7-Chloro-4-nitrobenz-2-oxa-1,3-diazole Support a Bi-site Mechanism of Catalysis. Biochemistry (Moscow) 76 (2011) 1253-1261
- Najafi M, Maza NA, Calvert PD. Steric volume exclusion sets soluble protein concentrations in photoreceptor sensory cilia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Dec 19
- Zhang T, Zhou Q, Pignoni F. Yki/YAP, Sd/TEAD and Hth/MEIS control tissue specification in the drosophila eye disc epithelium. PLoS One. 2011;6(7):e22278
- Garcia R, Perl A. Vasculitis in systemic lupus erythematosus. In: Inflammatory Disease of Blood Vessels, 2nd Edition, Eds. Hoffman GS, Weyand CM, Langford CA, Goronzy J, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, U.K, 2011
- Haarer B, Aggeli D, Viggiano S, Burke DJ, Amberg DC. (2011) Novel Interactions between Actin and the Proteasome Revealed by Complex Haploinsufficiency. PLoS Genetics, Sep 7(9): e1002288. Epub 2011 Sep 22.
- Steve Hanes gave a talk at the Science and Math Colloquium, Houghton College, Houghton NY. "Use of Model Organisms in Biomedical Research" on March 5, 2013.
- Campbell AT, Amberg DC. Poster -- Developing a campus-wide RCR educational program: Process & lessons learned. PRIM&R's 2012 Advancing Ethical Research Conference Guided by Principles in an Era of Change. San Diego, CA, December 2012
- Michael Cosgrove gave a talk at the GTC (Global Technology Community) 2nd Cancer Epigenetics conference on Novmber 9, 2012, entitled "Discovery and Characterization of a novel class of Mixed Lineage Leukemia core complex inhibitors"
- Michael Cosgrove, PhD gave an invited seminar in the Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology at Penn State University in early February.
- Andrea Viczian, PhD, Ophthalmology, presented, “Making Eyes From Stem Cells”, as a Visiting Scholars Lecture at:
- School of Life Sciences, Rochester Institute of Technology, Nov. 4, 2011.
- Biological Sciences, SUNY Plattsburgh, Nov.10, 2011.
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, SUNY Oswego, Nov.16, 2011
- Michael E. Zuber, PhD, presented, " Recent Research/Future Moves by the SUNY UMU Center for Vision Research", at The Department of Ophthalmology's 62nd Annual Post-Graduate Review Course in Ophthalmology Program on December 2 and 3, 2011
- Steve Hanes, PhD, gave two talks: 1) RNA Science and its Applications: A Look Toward the Future. The RNA Institute, Albany, NY. "Keeping little RNAs under control: Regulation of RNA polymerase II by prolyl isomerization" on November 3-4, 2011; 2) Department of Biology, Utica College, Utica, NY, "Using Model Organisms to Study Gene Regulation and Human Disease" on November 7, 2011
All newsletters are in Adobe Acrobat format.