Patricia Kane, PhD
Chair and Professor
The central goals of scientists in the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology department are to research fundamental mechanisms in cells and organisms at the molecular level and to train the next generation of scientists. Read More...
News and Events
Awards & Recognition
- Bruce Knutson was awarded a Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer award.
- Congratulations to Gourav Choudhary who was awarded a Graduate Student Preceptorship from Rheumatology Research Foundation which pays $3000 to student and $1000 to institution.
- Patty Kane received the SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professorship, the highest SUNY Academic Rank. Dr. Kane was nominated by Subhrajit Banerjee, while both Swetha Devi Velivela and Michael Jaskolka supported the nomination
- Stewart Loh was awarded a $75K NIH grant to replace a stop-flow flourescence instrument that he bought from his start up when he first came to Upstate. It was the first and most expensive piece of equipment he has ever bought. His lab published many papers at Upstate using data from that old instrument including their very first one in Nature Structural Biology
- Ashley Canning won second place for her poster at the Biomedical Sciences Retreat on September 15, 2016
- Congratulations to Yaxin Liu, Graduate Assistant, who was awarded the 2016 John Bernard Henry MD Endowed Scholarship Award for her manuscript entitled "Misfolding of mutant adenine nucleotide translocate in yeast supports a novel mechanism of Ant1-induced muscle diseases". She was also awarded the College of Graduate Studies Graduate Student Association 2016 Professional and Public Service Award. She received the awards at the May 22, 2016 College of Graduate Studies Commencement.
- Congratulations to MD/PhD student, Rebecca Sager, who won a Young Investigator Award for cancer research. For article in Upstate Online, go here .
- Nancy Walker-Kopp, Ashleigh J Jackobel, Gianno N Pannafino, Paola A Morocho, Xia Xu, Bruce A Knutson. Treacher Collins syndrome mutations in Saccharomyces cerevisiae destabilizes RNA polymerase I and III complex integrity. Human Molecular Genetics, 14 August 2017, https://academic.oup.com/hmg/article/doi/10.1093/hmg/ddx317/4082706/Treacher-Collins-syndromemutations-in?guestAccessKey=fae09dd9-c3ce-4185-be63-6071ad9686b8
- Yan Han, Chunli Yan, Thi Hoang, Duong Nguyen, Ashleigh J. Jackobel, Ivaylo Ivanov, Bruce A. Knutson, Yuan He (Bruce and Yuan He are both corresponding authors). Structural mechanism of ATP-independent transcription initiation by RNA polymerase I eLife. 2017 Jun 17;6. pii: e27414. doi: 10.7554/eLife.27414
- Banerjee S and Kane PM. Direct interaction of the Golgi V-ATPase a-subunit isoform with PI(4)P drives localization of golgi V-ATPases in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2017 Sep 15;28(19):2518-2530
- Yu X, Blanden AR, Tsang A, Zaman S, Liu Y, Gilleran J, ,Bencivenga AF, Kimball SD, Loh SN, Carpizo DR. Thiosemicarbazones Functioning as Zinc Metallochaperones to Reactivate Mutant p53. Mol Pharmacol 2017 Jun; 91(6): 567-575.
- Karchin JM, Ha JH, Namitz KE, Cosgrove MS and Loh SL. Small Molecule-Induced Domain Swapping as a Mechanism for Controlling Protein Function and Assembly". Sci Rep. 2017 Mar 13;7:44388.
- Peng J, Feng W. Incision of damaged DNA in the presence of an impaired Smc5/6 complex imperils genome stability. Nucleic Acids Research 2016; 44: 10216-10229
- Feng W. Mec1, the program manager of Nucleic Acids Inc. Genes (Basel) 2016 Dec 28;8(1).
- Sharma S, Wilkens S. Biolayer Interferometry of Lipid Nanodisc-Reconstituted Yeast Vacuolar H+-ATPase. Protein Science. 2017 May;26(5):1070-1079
- Oot RA, Couoh,Cardel S, Sharma S, Stam NJ, Wilkens S. Breaking Up and Making Up: The Secret Life of The Vacuolar H+-ATPase. Protein Science. 2017 May;26(5):896-909
- Motahari Z, Martinez-De Luna RI, Viczian AS, Zuber ME. Tbx3 represses bmp4 expression and with Pax6 is required and sufficient for retina formation. Development. 2016 Aug 30 [Epub ahead of print]
- Oberoi J, Dunn DM, Woodford MR, Mariotti L, Schulman J, Bourboulia D, Mollapour M, Vaughn CK. Structural and functional basis of protein phosphatase 5 substrate specificity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2016 Aug 9; 113 (32): 9009-14
- Jiang L, Xu D, Namitz KE, Cosgrove MS, Lund R, Dong H. Protein-like Nanoparticles Based on Orthogonal Self-Assembly of Chimeric Peptides. Small 2016 Aug 9 [Epub ahead of print]
- Woodford MR, Dunn DM, Blanden AR, Capriotti D, Loiselle D, Prodromou C, Panaretou B, Hughes PF, Smith A, Ackerman W, Haystead TA, Loh SN, Bourboulia D, Schmidt LS, Marston Linehan W, Bratslavsky G, Mollapour M. The FNIP co-chaperones decelerate the Hsp90 chaperone cycle and enhance drug binding. Nat Commun. 2016 Jun 29; 7: 12037.
- Oaks Z, Winans T, Caza T, Fernandez D, Liu Y, Landas SK, Banki K, Perl A. Mitochondrial dysfunction in the liver and antiphospholipid antibody production precede disease onsiet and respond to rapamycin in lupus-prone mice. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2015 June 22. doi: 10.1002/art.39791. [Epub ahead of print]
- Oot RA, Kane PM, Berry EA, Wilkens S. Crystal structure of yeast V1-ATPase in the autoinhibited state. EMBO J. 2016 June 13. pii: e201593447. [Epub ahead of print]
- Zafreen L1, Walker-Kopp N1, Huang LS1, Berry E2. In-vitro, SDH5-dependent flavinylation of immobilized human respiratory complex II flavoprotein. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2016 Jun 11;604:47-56. doi: 10.1016/j.abb.2016.06.006. [Epub ahead of print] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27296776?dopt=Abstract
- Knutson BA, Smith ML, Walker-Kopp N, Xu X. Super elongation complex contains a TFIIF-related subcomplex. Transcription, 2016 May 25:e1194027
- Kane PM. (2016) "Proton Transport and pH Control in Fungi". Adv Exp Med Biol. 892: 33-68
- Christian Heiss, Zhirui Wang, Ian Black, Parastoo Azadi, Raina N. Fichorova, Bibhuti N. Singh. (2016) "Novel structural features of the immunocompetent ceramide phospho-inositol glycan core from Trichomonas vaginalis". Carbohydrate Research 419: 51-59.
- Raina N. Fichorova, Hidemi S. Yamamoto, Titilayo Fashemi, Evan Foley, Stanthia Ryan, Noah Beatty, Hassan Dawood, Gary R. Hayes, Guillaume St-Pierre, Sachiko Sato and Bibhuti N. Singh. (2016) "Trichomonas vaginalis Lipophosphoglycan Exploits Binding to Galectin-1 and -3 to Modulate Epithelial Immunity". J. Biol. Chem. 291: 998-1013.
- Ha JH, Karchin JM, Walker-Kopp N, Castañeda CA, Loh SN. Engineered Domain Swapping as an On/Off Switch for Protein Function. Chem Biol. 2015 Oct 22;22(10):1384-93.
- Subhrajit Banerjee attended the Gordon Research Conference 2017 - Molecular Membrane Biology. Subhra was invited for a talk entitled "Phosphoinositide "zip codes" govern localization and activity of Vacuolar H+ATPases through direct interaction at the Gordon Research SEminar. He presented a poster with the same title.
- Stuti Sharma presented a poster at the Gordon Research Conference on the mechanisms of membrane transport. The title of her poster was "Vacuolar H+ ATPase assembly from its autoinhibited V1 and Vo sectors". She won the best poster award at the meeting.
- Michael Jaskolka attended the Bioenergetics Gordon Research Conference from June 4-9, 2017. He presented a poster entitled "Glucose Sensitive Interactions of the Yeast RAVE Complex" and was selected to give a short talk.
- Nilda Alicea-Velazquez and Ashley Canning both presented posters at a meeting entitled: Epigenetics in Cancer: Translational Medicine Approaches, which was hosted by the NY Academy of Sciences. Both won an Outstanding Presentation prize! Ashley was also one of three students selected to give a "DataBlitz" talk.
- Steve Hanes gave a talk on the Bin3 Methyltransferase at the 4th International Meeting on La and Related Proteins (LARPs) in Wiltshire, UK on September 15, 2016. He also presented a seminar on the Ess1 Prolyl Isomerase at the Department of Biochemistry, Oxford University, UK on September 19, 2016
- Sergio Couoh-Cardel presented at the Gordon Research Conference, Synaptic Transmission, held in Waterville Valley, NH, August 14-19, 2016. His poster title was: "The V-ATPase c-ring acts as an ion-conducting pore suggesting a direct involvement in neurotransmitter release". Sergio was also the discussion leader in a session titled: Presynaptic Mechanisms of Neurotransmission
- Michael Cosgrove gave a seminar at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, for their Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics visiting faculty member seminar series. The talk was on January 8, 2016 and entitled "Molecular Mechanisms for the assembly and regulation of the MLL core complex".
All newsletters are in Adobe Acrobat format.