The Senior Emergency Department
Upstate University Hospital at Community Campus offers special emergency services to those over 65 years at the new GEM Care unit. GEM Care is part of Upstate's Community Campus Emergency Department and offers a comfortable, quiet, and calming environment especially conducive to seniors.
Upstate University Hospital - Community Campus
Emergency Room, 4900 Broad Road
Syracuse, NY 13215
Map & directions
Phone: 315 492-5535
A Team Approach
As people age, they become more at risk when entering the hospital setting because they may be weakened from illness or on many medications. They may have multiple health issues and be more sensitive to changes. We understand this and provide a team approach with physicians, nurses, pharmacists, social workers, and case managers that are trained in senior medicine. The team works together to help patients get better.
The GEM Care team has special healthcare training and expertise related to the complexity that comes with aging people. The nursing team members are all NICHE trained (Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders.) Pharmacists trained in geriatrics will evaluate the home medication lists and make recommendations.
When patients are discharged, care is coordinated with outpatient services with the help of a Social Worker and Case Manager familiar with resources for seniors in the community. The team has up-to-date assessment tools and screens that match the needs of seniors seeking emergency care. They work with the primary care physician to develop a plan for each patient's continued health management.
Comfortable, Calming, and Quiet ED Environment
GEM Care emergency medicine unit has:
- Stretchers with thicker mattresses for comfort. Stretchers also have extra height if there is a need to move between beds.
- Geriatric recliners are available for comfort and as an alternative to stretchers.
- Handrails for the patients to hold when walking and bathrooms close by for added safety.
- Lighting is adjustable with dimmer switches to encourage rest while still maintaining sufficient lighting to stay safe.
- Large font options for medication education and discharge instructions are available.